Woodford Green pupils get expert view on the US presidential election
Pupils at a Woodford Green school were given the inside track on the US presidential election from an expert and former pupil.
Fred Emery, a former writer on The Times and presenter on the BBC’s Panorama programme, revisited his schoolboy days at Bancroft’s School in High Road, Woodford Green, yesterday (Monday).
Mr Emery has written a number of books about US politics including Watergate: The Corruption and Fall of Richard Nixon, and offered students his views on the current White House race.
He discussed the campaigns of candidates Barack Obama and Mitt Romney and explained intricacies of the US political system.
Politics student Luxi Ellalan, 17, said: “It was really useful to have an expert’s point of view, especially as Mr Emery is so experienced.
You may also want to watch:
“He was a very charismatic speaker and made his subject accessible to everyone.”
The reporter, the first to look at the Falkland Isles after the 1982 war with Argentina, refused to be drawn on who will win the race but did advise the audience that the bookmakers normally know best.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate