‘Turbaned tornado’ Fauja Singh passes on running tips to Ilford scouts
- Credit: Archant
Fauja Singh, thought to be the oldest marathon runner in the world, helped young Ilford scouts with a running challenge last week.
The “Tubaned Tornado” joined youngsters at the St Margarets 3rd Scouts on Monday as part of their outdoor activities badge.
Scout leader Gurmit Kaur hailed Fauja as an “inspiration” to the children. She added: “There is a 95 years age difference between Fauja and the beaver scouts but they both shared an inexhaustible thirst for knowledge and fun.
“Fauja was very curious about the church building and the activities that take place in the church.
“He is an inspiration to many around the world, showing people that age is not a barrier to enjoying outdoor activities and learning.”
You may also want to watch:
The scouts asked the runner how he keeps fit and where he has run the most – in Canada, the USA, Hong Kong and Australia. He also gave them running tips after watching them race.
The Ilford Beaver Scouts meet at St Margaret’s Church, in Balfour Road, Ilford. If you would like to volunteer call 0845 3001818.
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 4 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 5 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
- 6 Welcome to Chadwell Heath Spartans, a true family football club
- 7 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 8 Calls to extend school streets consultation
- 9 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 10 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays