‘Turbaned tornado’ Fauja Singh passes on running tips to Ilford scouts
- Credit: Archant
Fauja Singh, thought to be the oldest marathon runner in the world, helped young Ilford scouts with a running challenge last week.
The “Tubaned Tornado” joined youngsters at the St Margarets 3rd Scouts on Monday as part of their outdoor activities badge.
Scout leader Gurmit Kaur hailed Fauja as an “inspiration” to the children. She added: “There is a 95 years age difference between Fauja and the beaver scouts but they both shared an inexhaustible thirst for knowledge and fun.
“Fauja was very curious about the church building and the activities that take place in the church.
“He is an inspiration to many around the world, showing people that age is not a barrier to enjoying outdoor activities and learning.”
You may also want to watch:
The scouts asked the runner how he keeps fit and where he has run the most – in Canada, the USA, Hong Kong and Australia. He also gave them running tips after watching them race.
The Ilford Beaver Scouts meet at St Margaret’s Church, in Balfour Road, Ilford. If you would like to volunteer call 0845 3001818.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 4 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 5 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 10 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses