‘Turbaned tornado’ Fauja Singh passes on running tips to Ilford scouts
- Credit: Archant
Fauja Singh, thought to be the oldest marathon runner in the world, helped young Ilford scouts with a running challenge last week.
The “Tubaned Tornado” joined youngsters at the St Margarets 3rd Scouts on Monday as part of their outdoor activities badge.
Scout leader Gurmit Kaur hailed Fauja as an “inspiration” to the children. She added: “There is a 95 years age difference between Fauja and the beaver scouts but they both shared an inexhaustible thirst for knowledge and fun.
“Fauja was very curious about the church building and the activities that take place in the church.
“He is an inspiration to many around the world, showing people that age is not a barrier to enjoying outdoor activities and learning.”
You may also want to watch:
The scouts asked the runner how he keeps fit and where he has run the most – in Canada, the USA, Hong Kong and Australia. He also gave them running tips after watching them race.
The Ilford Beaver Scouts meet at St Margaret’s Church, in Balfour Road, Ilford. If you would like to volunteer call 0845 3001818.
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 8 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge