Top Redbridge pupils are encouraged to apply to Oxbridge universities
- Credit: Archant
Clever Redbridge pupils were told to aim high and consider applying to the Oxbridge universities last night.
High-achieving students were invited to Woodbridge High School in St Barnabas Road, Woodford Green, to meet current undergraduates and staff from top universities Oxford and Cambridge.
The school is aiming to become an “Oxbridge hub” in Redbridge by building up long-term relationships and putting on information events for pupils, with around 50 year 12 pupils attending yesterday.
Faheem Khan, an advanced skills teacher at the school, said: “It’s all about building the confidence and getting the information and the skills.
“If you look across Redbridge, the numbers for Oxbridge aren’t as great as they could be.”
You may also want to watch:
The pupils heard from undergraduates studying at Oxbridge, including some who attended Redbridge high schools, admissions tutors and outreach workers.
Anna Stedman, a Year 13 pupil at Woodbridge who has been accepted to read maths at Cambridge University, also spoke about how it is possible to get into the universities.
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 4 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 7 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 10 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
The top five highest achieving Year 12 pupils from Redbridge schools were invited, with around 20 students from Barking and Dagenham schools also participating.
Year 12 pupils will make their university choices by September.