Top Redbridge pupils are encouraged to apply to Oxbridge universities
- Credit: Archant
Clever Redbridge pupils were told to aim high and consider applying to the Oxbridge universities last night.
High-achieving students were invited to Woodbridge High School in St Barnabas Road, Woodford Green, to meet current undergraduates and staff from top universities Oxford and Cambridge.
The school is aiming to become an “Oxbridge hub” in Redbridge by building up long-term relationships and putting on information events for pupils, with around 50 year 12 pupils attending yesterday.
Faheem Khan, an advanced skills teacher at the school, said: “It’s all about building the confidence and getting the information and the skills.
“If you look across Redbridge, the numbers for Oxbridge aren’t as great as they could be.”
You may also want to watch:
The pupils heard from undergraduates studying at Oxbridge, including some who attended Redbridge high schools, admissions tutors and outreach workers.
Anna Stedman, a Year 13 pupil at Woodbridge who has been accepted to read maths at Cambridge University, also spoke about how it is possible to get into the universities.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
The top five highest achieving Year 12 pupils from Redbridge schools were invited, with around 20 students from Barking and Dagenham schools also participating.
Year 12 pupils will make their university choices by September.