Students welcome star guest Professor Brian Cox at Redbridge College awards
- Credit: Archant
TV boffin Brian Cox spoke in front of a packed audience at Redbridge Town Hall for a student awards ceremony.
The scientist, best known for presenting the popular BBC programmes Human Universe and Wonders of the Universe, was the guest speaker at this year’s Redbridge College Awards held last week.
The event honoured high-achieving students who had been nominated by their teachers and selected by the awards committee.
Professor Cox, a patron of the college, said: “In 2006 I was invited to the college. I was so impressed with the vision of what the college was doing that I asked to be involved. I come back every year and I just love it; to see it expand and grow and change has been terrific.”
This year’s Student of the Year award went to beauty therapy student Kerry Dagger Smith.
You may also want to watch:
College chief executive Theresa Drowley OBE also announced catering student Simon Assaf as winner of the annual T.OBE award, which is given to a mature student who has overcome difficulties in order to study.
Simon said: “Being part of the wider culinary movement in the country is a fantastic and exciting opportunity. The great thing about learning at Redbridge College, you get to work with people from all over the world.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 3 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 4 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 5 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 9 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 10 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
The Student Awards Ceremony also honoured this year’s Jack Petchey award winners. Every month throughout the academic year, four winners are selected for this award, which acknowledges students who have overcome adversity and inspired others.
Business professional Sonia Brown MBE was also a featured speaker during the evening and gave advice to the students and audience about how to achieve their goals and what it means to succeed.
Redbridge College is holding open enrolment from August 20 to September 1 for courses starting in September.