Students welcome star guest Professor Brian Cox at Redbridge College awards
- Credit: Archant
TV boffin Brian Cox spoke in front of a packed audience at Redbridge Town Hall for a student awards ceremony.
The scientist, best known for presenting the popular BBC programmes Human Universe and Wonders of the Universe, was the guest speaker at this year’s Redbridge College Awards held last week.
The event honoured high-achieving students who had been nominated by their teachers and selected by the awards committee.
Professor Cox, a patron of the college, said: “In 2006 I was invited to the college. I was so impressed with the vision of what the college was doing that I asked to be involved. I come back every year and I just love it; to see it expand and grow and change has been terrific.”
This year’s Student of the Year award went to beauty therapy student Kerry Dagger Smith.
You may also want to watch:
College chief executive Theresa Drowley OBE also announced catering student Simon Assaf as winner of the annual T.OBE award, which is given to a mature student who has overcome difficulties in order to study.
Simon said: “Being part of the wider culinary movement in the country is a fantastic and exciting opportunity. The great thing about learning at Redbridge College, you get to work with people from all over the world.”
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 4 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 5 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
The Student Awards Ceremony also honoured this year’s Jack Petchey award winners. Every month throughout the academic year, four winners are selected for this award, which acknowledges students who have overcome adversity and inspired others.
Business professional Sonia Brown MBE was also a featured speaker during the evening and gave advice to the students and audience about how to achieve their goals and what it means to succeed.
Redbridge College is holding open enrolment from August 20 to September 1 for courses starting in September.