Science team from Ilford school through to national final
- Credit: Archant
A team of young scientists from an Ilford school are through to the national final of a science competition.
Four Year 6 pupils from Cranbrook Independent School in Mansfield Road travelled to Wetherby Prep School in Westminster for the area heat in December.
After overcoming 10 other teams in the general science quiz, they will now face the best teams from all over the country in the national semi-finals on January 17 at Dulwich College in London.
One member of the team, Uzair Syed-Muhammad, 10, wrote a report about his team’s experience.
It reads: “When I got into school that day I was very nervous. My attention was on my science book. Everyone was encouraging me and my team. I was anxious about the quiz but I knew I’d do well.
You may also want to watch:
“We took a bus to Gants Hill station and a rather empty train to Marble Arch. We walked to Wetherby Prep. School. I was thinking then one unlikely thought; our team being announced as winners.
“We reached the hall and the quiz began. We led 3 or 4 times but stumbled and lost it. What drove me on were my mum’s words: ‘There is no such thing as can’t. Try and you can achieve anything.’
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 4 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 5 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 8 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 9 Need for Frenford Foodbank won't end when pandemic does, say volunteers
- 10 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
“For the last five-seven turns we gained the lead and did not give up. Even if we had been against whole schools we wouldn’t have given up.
“We were being announced winners. I was surprised as we are such a small school but we won against such big schools. It just goes to show that determination can lead to victory.
“I’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone who supported me including my class, my parents and my teacher.”