Science team from Ilford school through to national final
- Credit: Archant
A team of young scientists from an Ilford school are through to the national final of a science competition.
Four Year 6 pupils from Cranbrook Independent School in Mansfield Road travelled to Wetherby Prep School in Westminster for the area heat in December.
After overcoming 10 other teams in the general science quiz, they will now face the best teams from all over the country in the national semi-finals on January 17 at Dulwich College in London.
One member of the team, Uzair Syed-Muhammad, 10, wrote a report about his team’s experience.
It reads: “When I got into school that day I was very nervous. My attention was on my science book. Everyone was encouraging me and my team. I was anxious about the quiz but I knew I’d do well.
“We took a bus to Gants Hill station and a rather empty train to Marble Arch. We walked to Wetherby Prep. School. I was thinking then one unlikely thought; our team being announced as winners.
“We reached the hall and the quiz began. We led 3 or 4 times but stumbled and lost it. What drove me on were my mum’s words: ‘There is no such thing as can’t. Try and you can achieve anything.’
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Two people arrested following Ilford drugs lab bust
- 3 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 4 Update: Sixth arrest following killing of Michael Ugwa
- 5 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 8 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 9 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
“For the last five-seven turns we gained the lead and did not give up. Even if we had been against whole schools we wouldn’t have given up.
“We were being announced winners. I was surprised as we are such a small school but we won against such big schools. It just goes to show that determination can lead to victory.
“I’d like to say a massive thank you to everyone who supported me including my class, my parents and my teacher.”