Redbridge will have its long-awaited swimming pool before May 2018.
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Redbridge Council, Jas Athwal, has said he will “guarantee and ensure” that the borough would have a new swimming pool before the next election.
Deputy leader of the council, Wes Streeting, added: “We will look to do this quickly to give residents the pool they have been waiting for for so long.”
Cllr Athwal dismissed plans to build the pool at Valentines Park, Barley Lane Recreation Ground or South Park stating that somewhere more suitable would be sought.
The council heard that the Labour administration would explore how the new pool could regenerate an area of Redbridge.
Only one swimming pool has served the borough since the closure of the Ilford Baths in 2008, leading to long waiting lists for children hoping to learn to swim.
Mayor of London, Boris Johnson added his voice to calls for action on the issue when he visited a temporary pool in Wanstead in March.
He said: “There is one pool for 290,000 people here and the sums just don’t add up.”
- 1 Pan-Asian noodle bar opens on Ilford High Street
- 2 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 5 Redbridge Council is watching you: Mobile CCTV vehicle set to tackle crime
- 6 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 7 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 9 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 10 The gift of giving: Where to donate food across east London this Christmas