Redbridge will have its long-awaited swimming pool before May 2018.
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Redbridge Council, Jas Athwal, has said he will “guarantee and ensure” that the borough would have a new swimming pool before the next election.
Deputy leader of the council, Wes Streeting, added: “We will look to do this quickly to give residents the pool they have been waiting for for so long.”
Cllr Athwal dismissed plans to build the pool at Valentines Park, Barley Lane Recreation Ground or South Park stating that somewhere more suitable would be sought.
The council heard that the Labour administration would explore how the new pool could regenerate an area of Redbridge.
Only one swimming pool has served the borough since the closure of the Ilford Baths in 2008, leading to long waiting lists for children hoping to learn to swim.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of London, Boris Johnson added his voice to calls for action on the issue when he visited a temporary pool in Wanstead in March.
He said: “There is one pool for 290,000 people here and the sums just don’t add up.”
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 6 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 7 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
- 10 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket