Redbridge will have its long-awaited swimming pool before May 2018.
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Redbridge Council, Jas Athwal, has said he will “guarantee and ensure” that the borough would have a new swimming pool before the next election.
Deputy leader of the council, Wes Streeting, added: “We will look to do this quickly to give residents the pool they have been waiting for for so long.”
Cllr Athwal dismissed plans to build the pool at Valentines Park, Barley Lane Recreation Ground or South Park stating that somewhere more suitable would be sought.
The council heard that the Labour administration would explore how the new pool could regenerate an area of Redbridge.
Only one swimming pool has served the borough since the closure of the Ilford Baths in 2008, leading to long waiting lists for children hoping to learn to swim.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of London, Boris Johnson added his voice to calls for action on the issue when he visited a temporary pool in Wanstead in March.
He said: “There is one pool for 290,000 people here and the sums just don’t add up.”
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 5 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved