Redbridge students get virtual tour of Parliament and question MP
- Credit: PA/Tom Barnes
Redbridge students took a virtual tour of the Houses of Parliament and grilled MP Wes Streeting during a workshop.
Students from Caterham and Oaks Park High School learned the history of Parliament, the House of Lords, what MPs do and how laws are made during the Parliament Diversity Day held on January 21.
The workshop was followed by a live question and answer session with the MP for Ilford North.
Students questioned Mr Streeting over how MPs have supported their constituents during the pandemic and the impact of Brexit.
A 13-year-old student from Caterham said she learned a lot and it made her much more interested about how democracy and politics works and impacts our lives.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Streeting said he was delighted to get a virtual visit from the budding politicians particularly since Covid has made school visits so difficult in the last year.
He said: "The students demonstrated an impressive understanding on so many issues like Brexit, schools and the pandemic and asked me some challenging questions."
- 1 No 10 at odds with Redbridge Council over masks for primary children
- 2 Ilford church turns into vaccine pop-up clinic
- 3 Former Islington head announced as new interim chief exec for Redbridge Council
- 4 Council offers update on regeneration projects at Ilford BID webinar
- 5 Redbridge students rewarded by police for mental health artwork
- 6 How many Covid vaccinations have been given where you live?
- 7 Sadiq has proposed Boundary Charge for cars coming from outside London
- 8 South African Covid variant found in Ilford, 'surge testing' to begin
- 9 People urged to take part in seven-day food waste challenge
- 10 Council's housing budget and rent rise agreed