Redbridge students get virtual tour of Parliament and question MP
- Credit: PA/Tom Barnes
Redbridge students took a virtual tour of the Houses of Parliament and grilled MP Wes Streeting during a workshop.
Students from Caterham and Oaks Park High School learned the history of Parliament, the House of Lords, what MPs do and how laws are made during the Parliament Diversity Day held on January 21.
The workshop was followed by a live question and answer session with the MP for Ilford North.
Students questioned Mr Streeting over how MPs have supported their constituents during the pandemic and the impact of Brexit.
A 13-year-old student from Caterham said she learned a lot and it made her much more interested about how democracy and politics works and impacts our lives.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Streeting said he was delighted to get a virtual visit from the budding politicians particularly since Covid has made school visits so difficult in the last year.
He said: "The students demonstrated an impressive understanding on so many issues like Brexit, schools and the pandemic and asked me some challenging questions."
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence