Redbridge students get virtual tour of Parliament and question MP
- Credit: PA/Tom Barnes
Redbridge students took a virtual tour of the Houses of Parliament and grilled MP Wes Streeting during a workshop.
Students from Caterham and Oaks Park High School learned the history of Parliament, the House of Lords, what MPs do and how laws are made during the Parliament Diversity Day held on January 21.
The workshop was followed by a live question and answer session with the MP for Ilford North.
Students questioned Mr Streeting over how MPs have supported their constituents during the pandemic and the impact of Brexit.
A 13-year-old student from Caterham said she learned a lot and it made her much more interested about how democracy and politics works and impacts our lives.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Streeting said he was delighted to get a virtual visit from the budding politicians particularly since Covid has made school visits so difficult in the last year.
He said: "The students demonstrated an impressive understanding on so many issues like Brexit, schools and the pandemic and asked me some challenging questions."
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder