Redbridge College students honoured with Jack Petchey Awards
A determined college student who overcame language difficulties to become a high achiever and role model has been presented with a Jack Petchey Award to celebrate her achievements.
Ita Blasiak, 18, was one of four students from Redbridge College, Barley Lane, Little Heath who was presented with an award at a special ceremony on Tuesday.
Ita, who moved to the UK from Poland five years ago, initially found studying for her science course a challenge due to the complex scientific language.
Over time she developed tactics to boost her understanding, including reading scientific articles in Polish before translating them in to English.
Tutor, Henna Mallick, who nominated her for the award, said: “I have seen Ita mature in to a pleasant young lady who deserves this award for her determination and perseverance to succeed. She is an excellent role model for her peers.”
You may also want to watch:
Also winning Jack Petchey Awards were Joe Turrell, 18, Grace Armstrong, 17, and Andre Walters, 17.
Joe was nominated in recognition of his outstanding progress, leadership skills and for being an exceptional learner while Grace was nominated for her ‘outstanding commitment’ to college life.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 8 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
Andre was nominated to celebrate the concentration, commitment and attitude he has shown towards his studies.