Redbridge College students honoured with Jack Petchey Awards
A determined college student who overcame language difficulties to become a high achiever and role model has been presented with a Jack Petchey Award to celebrate her achievements.
Ita Blasiak, 18, was one of four students from Redbridge College, Barley Lane, Little Heath who was presented with an award at a special ceremony on Tuesday.
Ita, who moved to the UK from Poland five years ago, initially found studying for her science course a challenge due to the complex scientific language.
Over time she developed tactics to boost her understanding, including reading scientific articles in Polish before translating them in to English.
Tutor, Henna Mallick, who nominated her for the award, said: “I have seen Ita mature in to a pleasant young lady who deserves this award for her determination and perseverance to succeed. She is an excellent role model for her peers.”
Also winning Jack Petchey Awards were Joe Turrell, 18, Grace Armstrong, 17, and Andre Walters, 17.
Joe was nominated in recognition of his outstanding progress, leadership skills and for being an exceptional learner while Grace was nominated for her ‘outstanding commitment’ to college life.
- 1 40 firefighters tackle blaze after boiler catches on fire
- 2 Wendy's Ilford: New opening date for High Road restaurant after delay
- 3 Woman arrested after crashing in garden wall in Woodford Green
- 4 Dispersal order enforced in parts of Gants Hill, Clayhall and Barkingside
- 5 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 6 Wendy's to open Ilford restaurant next week
- 7 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 8 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 9 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 10 Ilford man dies after M11 crash near Chigwell
Andre was nominated to celebrate the concentration, commitment and attitude he has shown towards his studies.