Redbridge College students honoured with Jack Petchey Awards
A determined college student who overcame language difficulties to become a high achiever and role model has been presented with a Jack Petchey Award to celebrate her achievements.
Ita Blasiak, 18, was one of four students from Redbridge College, Barley Lane, Little Heath who was presented with an award at a special ceremony on Tuesday.
Ita, who moved to the UK from Poland five years ago, initially found studying for her science course a challenge due to the complex scientific language.
Over time she developed tactics to boost her understanding, including reading scientific articles in Polish before translating them in to English.
Tutor, Henna Mallick, who nominated her for the award, said: “I have seen Ita mature in to a pleasant young lady who deserves this award for her determination and perseverance to succeed. She is an excellent role model for her peers.”
You may also want to watch:
Also winning Jack Petchey Awards were Joe Turrell, 18, Grace Armstrong, 17, and Andre Walters, 17.
Joe was nominated in recognition of his outstanding progress, leadership skills and for being an exceptional learner while Grace was nominated for her ‘outstanding commitment’ to college life.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 5 Wanstead wine expert launches new shop
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 7 Young Citizen: 'Our community needs us the most right now', says Mutual Aid volunteer
- 8 Calls to extend school streets consultation
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
Andre was nominated to celebrate the concentration, commitment and attitude he has shown towards his studies.