Redbridge College students honoured with Jack Petchey Awards
A determined college student who overcame language difficulties to become a high achiever and role model has been presented with a Jack Petchey Award to celebrate her achievements.
Ita Blasiak, 18, was one of four students from Redbridge College, Barley Lane, Little Heath who was presented with an award at a special ceremony on Tuesday.
Ita, who moved to the UK from Poland five years ago, initially found studying for her science course a challenge due to the complex scientific language.
Over time she developed tactics to boost her understanding, including reading scientific articles in Polish before translating them in to English.
Tutor, Henna Mallick, who nominated her for the award, said: “I have seen Ita mature in to a pleasant young lady who deserves this award for her determination and perseverance to succeed. She is an excellent role model for her peers.”
You may also want to watch:
Also winning Jack Petchey Awards were Joe Turrell, 18, Grace Armstrong, 17, and Andre Walters, 17.
Joe was nominated in recognition of his outstanding progress, leadership skills and for being an exceptional learner while Grace was nominated for her ‘outstanding commitment’ to college life.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 4 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 5 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 8 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 9 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 10 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
Andre was nominated to celebrate the concentration, commitment and attitude he has shown towards his studies.