Police siege in Woodford Green as man barricades himself on roof of flats
- Credit: Archant
A man has barricaded himself on a block of flats near a school causing a police siege.
Officers attended the three story building at The Roses, High Road, Woodford Green, at around 7.40am to make arrest enquiries.
A police spokesman said the man blocked the front of the property, preventing officers from entering the building before dashing upstairs.
“He went up on the roof where he is currently,” said the spokesman.
“Officers are talking to him.”
You may also want to watch:
An onlooker said: “He’s been on the roof crawling around.
“I saw some riot shields and there’s a helicopter circling.”
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 3 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 4 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 5 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 7 Gants Hill care worker's daughter wins Bafta
- 8 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 Counsellor offers group therapy for fellow parents grieving loss of child
A woman from Loughton, who was visiting her 94-year-old father said: “You never know what people will do, it’s a crazy world.”
The man has holed out next to St Aubyn’s School, in Bunces Lane.
It remained unclear what the police enquiries initially were.
A woman who wished to remained unnamed said: “I think they were there to evict him. Once they get him out he wont be going back.”
An elderly onlooker said: “People are crazy, they have more out than in. That’s why I like animals.”
More to follow.