Police siege in Woodford Green as man barricades himself on roof of flats
- Credit: Archant
A man has barricaded himself on a block of flats near a school causing a police siege.
Officers attended the three story building at The Roses, High Road, Woodford Green, at around 7.40am to make arrest enquiries.
A police spokesman said the man blocked the front of the property, preventing officers from entering the building before dashing upstairs.
“He went up on the roof where he is currently,” said the spokesman.
“Officers are talking to him.”
You may also want to watch:
An onlooker said: “He’s been on the roof crawling around.
“I saw some riot shields and there’s a helicopter circling.”
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 4 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 5 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 6 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 9 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
A woman from Loughton, who was visiting her 94-year-old father said: “You never know what people will do, it’s a crazy world.”
The man has holed out next to St Aubyn’s School, in Bunces Lane.
It remained unclear what the police enquiries initially were.
A woman who wished to remained unnamed said: “I think they were there to evict him. Once they get him out he wont be going back.”
An elderly onlooker said: “People are crazy, they have more out than in. That’s why I like animals.”
More to follow.