Newbury Park primary school becomes latest in Redbridge to expand
A Newbury Park school is becoming the latest in Redbridge to expand to take on hundreds of extra pupils.
William Torbitt Primary School, in Eastern Avenue, will have one extra form of entry – taking in another 210 children.
They will be phased in with 30 extra pupils starting in reception each year between 2014 and 2020.
Redbridge Council’s regulatory committee is expected to approve the final details in a planning application for expansion work on Thursday evening.
Existing toilet block wings at either end of the school building will be replaced with new single storey blocks.
You may also want to watch:
Two more two-floor extensions will be added along with a ground floor kitchen and dining block.
There will be eight new classrooms, a community room, kitchen and dining facilities, staff areas and toilets.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 5 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 6 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 7 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 8 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 9 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 10 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
Between 12 and 14 new staff positions are expected.
Work is currently ongoing to expand Beal High School, in Redbridge; Chadwell Primary School, in Chadwell Heath; Barley Lane Primary School, in Goodmayes and Downshall Primary School, in Seven Kings.
Planning applications have been approved for at least two other expansions and a new school is due to open in High Road, Ilford, next year.