Newbury Park primary school becomes latest in Redbridge to expand
A Newbury Park school is becoming the latest in Redbridge to expand to take on hundreds of extra pupils.
William Torbitt Primary School, in Eastern Avenue, will have one extra form of entry – taking in another 210 children.
They will be phased in with 30 extra pupils starting in reception each year between 2014 and 2020.
Redbridge Council’s regulatory committee is expected to approve the final details in a planning application for expansion work on Thursday evening.
Existing toilet block wings at either end of the school building will be replaced with new single storey blocks.
You may also want to watch:
Two more two-floor extensions will be added along with a ground floor kitchen and dining block.
There will be eight new classrooms, a community room, kitchen and dining facilities, staff areas and toilets.
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 7 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 8 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 9 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
Between 12 and 14 new staff positions are expected.
Work is currently ongoing to expand Beal High School, in Redbridge; Chadwell Primary School, in Chadwell Heath; Barley Lane Primary School, in Goodmayes and Downshall Primary School, in Seven Kings.
Planning applications have been approved for at least two other expansions and a new school is due to open in High Road, Ilford, next year.