Newbridge School closes campuses in Chadwell Heath and Goodmayes due to confirmed Covid cases
- Credit: Archant
An academy school has been forced to shut down entirely for two weeks due to confirmed coronavirus cases.
Newbridge School, a special school with campuses in Goodmayes and Chadwell Heath, is closed to all pupils and staff.
A statement on the school’s website says the decision to close was taken “following the advice of Public Health England’s Coronavirus Response team”.
At Redbridge Council’s education scrutiny committee on September 29, director of education Colin Stewart said the school closed “as a precaution after positive tests in two different classes”.
He added: “All other schools are at least partly open. One of our schools has four cases in four year groups and another has three in three year groups.
You may also want to watch:
“Schools in Redbridge are phenomenally resilient and their ability to adapt is just really awesome to watch.”
In order to demonstrate “how much physical work” was required, he said one deputy head had walked 25,000 steps in one day while working at their school, according to their pedometer.
- 1 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 3 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 4 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 5 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 7 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 8 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 9 Mosque director: Ilford egg attack highlights Islamophobia Muslims face
- 10 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
Public Health England has been contacted for comment.
A council spokesperson said: “Following advice from Public Health England, Newbridge School closed as a precaution for 14 days to all pupils and staff. The closure came into effect on Thursday, September 24.
“The school has followed advice from Public Health England and will take all necessary steps to prepare for the return of pupils and staff at the end of the precautionary self-isolation period.”