New Redbridge book festival to ‘nurture children’s imaginations’
- Credit: Archant
Are your sons and daughters fans of Horrid Henry or the Gruffalo? Do they want to join Harry Potter on the train at platform nine and three-quarters?
A new children’s book festival is coming to the Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford, during the autumn half-term, which is sure to excite the borough’s youngest bookworms.
Run by Jack Productions, the first Redbridge Children’s Literary Festival will hold author talks, interactive storytelling and creative writing workshops.
From teen crime fiction to adventure and fantasy writing, there will be events for fans of all books between October 24 and 29.
Organiser Lee Thompson said: “I volunteered at a similar event in Brentwood a couple of months ago and it was brilliant.
“I have always believed that children should be encouraged to grow and nurture their imagination through books and reading and thought it would be great to run a similar festival in Redbridge.”
Lee got in touch with the Oakfield Road theatre, where he puts on musical tribute acts, and staff were keen to get involved.
- 1 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 2 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 3 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 4 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 5 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 6 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 10 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
He said: “We have a great line-up of some of the best children’s authors in the country who, between them, have written some of the most popular books.”
Lee told the Recorder he is fundraising to secure the future of the festival and hopes to encourage local businesses to get behind the event.
“I don’t just want this to be a one-off, I want to see it getting bigger year after year.”
To support the festival, visit redbridgelitfest.org. For tickets, head to kmtheatre.co.uk or call the box office on 020 8553 4466.