New library and gym to open doors next month after £600k project
- Credit: Archant
A £600,000 project to transform a library and provide a new gym has been completed – with the new facility set to open in January.
South Woodford Library will be opening its doors on Friday January 2 following improvements which include a 40-station gym and studio as well as children’s areas, a quiet study and reading room.
The library in High Road, South Woodford, which has been closed since September, will also have moveable furniture so it can be used for larger events and activities.
Cllr Wes Streeting, cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said: “This is an excellent facility with a range of improvements that not only makes the library itself a more interesting and accessible space but also adds more functions for those looking to keep fit and stick to their New Year’s resolutions.”
Residents who would like to find out more about gym memberships and take a tour of the new facility can do so from Saturday.
As a special offer, anyone who joins the gym before January 1 will get a free month’s membership.
Cllr Streeting said he hoped the new gym would also bring money in to the council to help make savings.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 3 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 8 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
- 9 Two more men charged with murder after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 10 Trust admits 'still more to do' despite diagnostic imaging improvements
“I think we’ve made some fantastic improvements to add even more worth to this facility,” he added.