MP praises audacious Hainault gardening project
- Credit: Archant
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has heaped praise on an innovative social enterprise scheme, after a visit to Forest Farm Peace Garden.
Audacious Veg, run from the allotment in Hazelbrouck Gardens, Hainault, provides young adults, referred by social services, a four month paid work placement.
The scheme sells gourmet baby salad mixes, edible flowers and micro-herbs to restaurants across London, and gives the young adult trainees the experience of working at a cutting edge enterprise.
Mr Streeting said: “It was great to visit Audacious Veg in Hainault to see the team at work.
“It’s brilliant to see a local social enterprise like this helping to create opportunities for young people to gain practical skills and overcome the barriers to employment that they’ve faced as a result of the challenges that life has thrown at them.”
You may also want to watch:
Audacious Veg founder Natalie Szarek said they were “happy” to have the support of the Labour MP.
She added: “We think that Audacious Veg has the potential to put Redbridge on the map as a pioneering borough in terms of local food production and sustainability.”
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
- 9 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 10 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
If you would like to get involved with the project visit audaciousveg.org.