Man arrested following Woodford Green rooftop siege
- Credit: Archant
A man who barricaded the front of a building and climbed onto its roof, was arrested this afternoon following a police siege.
Officers had attended a three story building at The Roses, High Road, Woodford Green, at around 7.40am to make arrest enquiries.
But the man blocked the front of the property, preventing officers from entering the building before dashing upstairs, leaving trained negotiators to spend more than seven hours trying to coax him down.
A police spokesman said: “He came down of his own volition at 2.43pm and was arrested on suspicion for failing to appear at court.”
The man, who has not been named, was then taken to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
A woman who wished to remained unnamed said: “I think they were there to evict him. Once they get him out he wont be going back.”
The incident took place next to the independent St Aubyn’s School, in Bunces Lane.
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 4 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 5 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 6 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 7 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 8 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
- 9 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 10 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
An elderly onlooker said: “People are crazy, they have more out than in. That’s why I like animals.”