Is that a horse or a bike? Children saddle up for Hainault polo tournament
- Credit: Archant
“Energetic” high school pupils took part in a special bike polo competition in Hainault, aimed at encouraging them to cycle in their leisure time.
The Inter-borough Bike Polo Tournament, featuring Year 7 and 8 pupils from across five London boroughs, was held at Fairlop Oak Power League, in Forest Road on Thursday.
The unusual sport, which is based on polo, saw students swap a horse for a bicycle.
Youngsters from Oaks Park High, The Forest Academy, The Palmer Catholic Academy, The Ursuline Academy, Trinity Catholic High, Valentines High, Wanstead High and Woodbridge High took part in the event, now in its second year.
Cabinet member for culture and leisure Cllr Ashok Kumar said: “It was a great day and everyone was very enthusiastic and energetic.
You may also want to watch:
“I think we need to get more people cycling especially as extra money is available to councils to make their roads safer for cyclists.
“Cycling is something we will be focusing on in the future as the activity is extremely good for your health and is a great way to get around.”
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 4 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust