Irish singer representing Ilford at international competition
- Credit: Archant
A group of Irish musicians based in Ilford will be raised to the international stage next month when a singer competes in the Irish Music Championships.
Nancy Palumbo, 12, has reached the final of the competition and will perform in Derry, Northern Ireland, in August.
Fellow members of the Irish Music Club, which meets in Ilford, will be travelling with her to join workshops with folk musicians from around the world.
Nancy, who sings in English and Gaelic, is used to performing with the group at events around Redbridge.
Mum Fiona said: “She’s always loved singing, ever since she was little. She was always louder than everyone in the choir.
“She’s got a lovely voice – it’s soft and wispy.”
The Irish Music Club welcomes anyone who plays folk instruments, including accordions, fiddles and flutes.
- 1 Ilford fast food restaurant permitted to open later
- 2 Convicted killer 'attacked sister-in-law after repeated threats', court hears
- 3 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 4 Newbury Park grass fire sees homes evacuated
- 5 Pair charged with creating fake Covid vaccination records
- 6 Community opposition to Hainault bank closure
- 7 Fairlop man locked up for rabbi assault
- 8 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 9 Five tower blocks included in housing plans for Sainsbury's in Ilford
- 10 Jailed: Ilford fraudster involved in £13m Ponzi scheme through property fraud
• To join the group, visit them at a practice session on Wednesdays at 6.30pm at the Ilford Catholic Club, High Road, Ilford.