Irish singer representing Ilford at international competition
- Credit: Archant
A group of Irish musicians based in Ilford will be raised to the international stage next month when a singer competes in the Irish Music Championships.
Nancy Palumbo, 12, has reached the final of the competition and will perform in Derry, Northern Ireland, in August.
Fellow members of the Irish Music Club, which meets in Ilford, will be travelling with her to join workshops with folk musicians from around the world.
Nancy, who sings in English and Gaelic, is used to performing with the group at events around Redbridge.
Mum Fiona said: “She’s always loved singing, ever since she was little. She was always louder than everyone in the choir.
You may also want to watch:
“She’s got a lovely voice – it’s soft and wispy.”
The Irish Music Club welcomes anyone who plays folk instruments, including accordions, fiddles and flutes.
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 9 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 10 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
• To join the group, visit them at a practice session on Wednesdays at 6.30pm at the Ilford Catholic Club, High Road, Ilford.