Inspirational Ilford Ursuline teacher helps girls into STEM
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford educator beat off competition from thousands of other entries to win an Outstanding Teacher Design and Technology Award.
Edna Reilly, head of design and technology at Ursuline Academy, Morland Road, Ilford, received the accolade in recognition of going “above and beyond what might be expected” in her role.
The competition is open to all school staff in England and Wales and Mrs Reilly said she was delighted and surprised to win the award.
She explained that it was a privilege to receive her certificate at a ceremony at Savoy Place, London.
“As a design and technology teacher for some years I was astounded by this recognition and it reinforced my belief in the importance of design and technology in today’s world,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“The subject is still firmly on the map and has a very important influence on our pupils’ future careers.”
Ursuline Academy headteacher Keran Reilly said she was thrilled that Mrs Reilly was recognised for her “sterling work” at the all-girls school.
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 3 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 4 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 5 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 6 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 7 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 8 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
“She is an inspiration to our girls, many of whom go onto study science, technology engineering and maths (STEM) subjects at university or take apprenticeships in engineering,” she said.
“Our school is a centre for excellence for STEM and Mrs Reilly always goes the extra mile to support the girls, frequently looking for innovative ways to develop her teaching, and enthuse the girls about new technology.
“All at Ursuline are so proud of Mrs Reilly and her achievements – she exemplifies our school motto ‘serviam’ perfectly.”
Dr Julie Nugent, chief executive of the Design and Technology Association, lauded Mrs Reilly’s achievement.
She said: “Edna is to be congratulated on her well-deserved award, and celebrated for going above and beyond .
“Often the catalyst for students wanting to be engineers and designers, is the passion and commitment of such teachers, who are an inspiration to us all.”