Inspirational Ilford Ursuline teacher helps girls into STEM
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford educator beat off competition from thousands of other entries to win an Outstanding Teacher Design and Technology Award.
Edna Reilly, head of design and technology at Ursuline Academy, Morland Road, Ilford, received the accolade in recognition of going “above and beyond what might be expected” in her role.
The competition is open to all school staff in England and Wales and Mrs Reilly said she was delighted and surprised to win the award.
She explained that it was a privilege to receive her certificate at a ceremony at Savoy Place, London.
“As a design and technology teacher for some years I was astounded by this recognition and it reinforced my belief in the importance of design and technology in today’s world,” she said.
“The subject is still firmly on the map and has a very important influence on our pupils’ future careers.”
Ursuline Academy headteacher Keran Reilly said she was thrilled that Mrs Reilly was recognised for her “sterling work” at the all-girls school.
- 1 Arrest made after man falls from height during forced entry incident
- 2 Keith Prince to keep fighting as plans to develop former Homebase inch closer
- 3 Man attacked with machete before falling from height in Wanstead
- 4 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 5 Judicial review could 'stop GP surgery privatisation'
- 6 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Woodford Green teen to play at orchestral concert
- 9 Funding problems throw timeline of new Whipps Cross hospital into doubt
- 10 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
“She is an inspiration to our girls, many of whom go onto study science, technology engineering and maths (STEM) subjects at university or take apprenticeships in engineering,” she said.
“Our school is a centre for excellence for STEM and Mrs Reilly always goes the extra mile to support the girls, frequently looking for innovative ways to develop her teaching, and enthuse the girls about new technology.
“All at Ursuline are so proud of Mrs Reilly and her achievements – she exemplifies our school motto ‘serviam’ perfectly.”
Dr Julie Nugent, chief executive of the Design and Technology Association, lauded Mrs Reilly’s achievement.
She said: “Edna is to be congratulated on her well-deserved award, and celebrated for going above and beyond .
“Often the catalyst for students wanting to be engineers and designers, is the passion and commitment of such teachers, who are an inspiration to us all.”