Ilford volunteer receives award at education fair for Asian women
- Credit: Archant
A hard working volunteer has been honoured at an education and training fair in Ilford, aimed at helping Asian women into employment in the borough.
The University of East London held the fair at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, on June 4 which was open to all Asian women aged 16 years and up.
Jasbir Sanger, who won the Redbridge Asian Woman Achievement Award, said she felt “honoured” to have her work on the Sikh Community Care Project acknowledged.
She said: “My contribution towards community work started in 1992 and I have seen the need for voluntary organisations increased in the last four years. I have helped to create opportunities for young people and women to gain employment, training and further education, along with arranging support services for elderly and housebound people.”
In partnership with Redbridge Council, the event offered a chance for visitors to speak to a range of advisors from education and training providers.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Sanger, of Argyle Road, Ilford, added: “My main focus is promoting volunteering opportunities as we need this valuable support to continue. These initiatives are vital to make communities feel involved and engaged to promote cohesion.”
- 1 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 9 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 10 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge