Ilford volunteer receives award at education fair for Asian women
- Credit: Archant
A hard working volunteer has been honoured at an education and training fair in Ilford, aimed at helping Asian women into employment in the borough.
The University of East London held the fair at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, on June 4 which was open to all Asian women aged 16 years and up.
Jasbir Sanger, who won the Redbridge Asian Woman Achievement Award, said she felt “honoured” to have her work on the Sikh Community Care Project acknowledged.
She said: “My contribution towards community work started in 1992 and I have seen the need for voluntary organisations increased in the last four years. I have helped to create opportunities for young people and women to gain employment, training and further education, along with arranging support services for elderly and housebound people.”
In partnership with Redbridge Council, the event offered a chance for visitors to speak to a range of advisors from education and training providers.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Sanger, of Argyle Road, Ilford, added: “My main focus is promoting volunteering opportunities as we need this valuable support to continue. These initiatives are vital to make communities feel involved and engaged to promote cohesion.”
- 1 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 2 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 3 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 6 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 7 Tributes paid to Ilford jazz legend Keith Nichols, who died from Covid
- 8 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 9 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 10 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook