Ilford volunteer receives award at education fair for Asian women
- Credit: Archant
A hard working volunteer has been honoured at an education and training fair in Ilford, aimed at helping Asian women into employment in the borough.
The University of East London held the fair at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, on June 4 which was open to all Asian women aged 16 years and up.
Jasbir Sanger, who won the Redbridge Asian Woman Achievement Award, said she felt “honoured” to have her work on the Sikh Community Care Project acknowledged.
She said: “My contribution towards community work started in 1992 and I have seen the need for voluntary organisations increased in the last four years. I have helped to create opportunities for young people and women to gain employment, training and further education, along with arranging support services for elderly and housebound people.”
In partnership with Redbridge Council, the event offered a chance for visitors to speak to a range of advisors from education and training providers.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Sanger, of Argyle Road, Ilford, added: “My main focus is promoting volunteering opportunities as we need this valuable support to continue. These initiatives are vital to make communities feel involved and engaged to promote cohesion.”
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap