Ilford school chosen by celeb judge Graham Norton to win Glee Club challenge
An Ilford school’s glee club has been crowned the winner of a prestigious competition, inspired by the popular television series.
The Ursuline Academy, Morland Road, Ilford, beat nine other clubs in the grand final of the Jack Petchey Glee Club Challenge, which was held at the IndigO2 venue in north Greenwich on Sunday.
Celebrity judge, Graham Norton, said: “The standard was incredibly high. I was really impressed and moved to tears by the commitment and enthusiasm of these fabulous young people.”
As winners of the event, the champions won a share of the �5,000 prize to pay for tuition and equipment.
Head of music at the academy, Martin Novak, said: “We are overwhelmed to win particularly as we are very much a home grown group and don’t have any professionals working with us.
You may also want to watch:
“The girls chose their songs and put together choreography under the leadership of student Aisha Pacqutte, one of the performers. They are all highly motivated and committed and it really paid off.”
For more information visit www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk.
- 1 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 2 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 3 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 4 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 5 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 8 Political fight as council shifts money away from opposition party
- 9 Need for Frenford Foodbank won't end when pandemic does, say volunteers
- 10 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas