Ilford school chosen by celeb judge Graham Norton to win Glee Club challenge
An Ilford school’s glee club has been crowned the winner of a prestigious competition, inspired by the popular television series.
The Ursuline Academy, Morland Road, Ilford, beat nine other clubs in the grand final of the Jack Petchey Glee Club Challenge, which was held at the IndigO2 venue in north Greenwich on Sunday.
Celebrity judge, Graham Norton, said: “The standard was incredibly high. I was really impressed and moved to tears by the commitment and enthusiasm of these fabulous young people.”
As winners of the event, the champions won a share of the �5,000 prize to pay for tuition and equipment.
Head of music at the academy, Martin Novak, said: “We are overwhelmed to win particularly as we are very much a home grown group and don’t have any professionals working with us.
You may also want to watch:
“The girls chose their songs and put together choreography under the leadership of student Aisha Pacqutte, one of the performers. They are all highly motivated and committed and it really paid off.”
For more information visit www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Plans for retail park development move step closer
- 10 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault