Ilford school chosen by celeb judge Graham Norton to win Glee Club challenge
An Ilford school’s glee club has been crowned the winner of a prestigious competition, inspired by the popular television series.
The Ursuline Academy, Morland Road, Ilford, beat nine other clubs in the grand final of the Jack Petchey Glee Club Challenge, which was held at the IndigO2 venue in north Greenwich on Sunday.
Celebrity judge, Graham Norton, said: “The standard was incredibly high. I was really impressed and moved to tears by the commitment and enthusiasm of these fabulous young people.”
As winners of the event, the champions won a share of the �5,000 prize to pay for tuition and equipment.
Head of music at the academy, Martin Novak, said: “We are overwhelmed to win particularly as we are very much a home grown group and don’t have any professionals working with us.
You may also want to watch:
“The girls chose their songs and put together choreography under the leadership of student Aisha Pacqutte, one of the performers. They are all highly motivated and committed and it really paid off.”
For more information visit www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk.
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 4 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 5 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 6 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 7 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 8 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 9 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 10 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford