Ilford children light Olympic ‘flame’ during their very own opening ceremony
More than 600 students took part in an Olympic style opening ceremony to mark a week of sports-themed activities at a school in Ilford.
The grandee finale was the “lighting” of an Olympic flame and sports day winners were presented with medals on Tuesday.
The children at Cranbrook Primary School did activities themed around this summer’s Games including a chariots of fire wheelbarrow race.
Year 5 teacher Ian Casey said: “It was amazing, we had 400 parents there and it was electric. It’s a really special year for London and we wanted to commemorate that.”
During the week lessons all had an Olympic slant such as learning about healthy eating in science.
You may also want to watch:
Each year group were allocated a different nation whose colours they wore on Friday and did a national dance.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 7 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 8 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 9 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 10 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021