Ilford children light Olympic ‘flame’ during their very own opening ceremony
More than 600 students took part in an Olympic style opening ceremony to mark a week of sports-themed activities at a school in Ilford.
The grandee finale was the “lighting” of an Olympic flame and sports day winners were presented with medals on Tuesday.
The children at Cranbrook Primary School did activities themed around this summer’s Games including a chariots of fire wheelbarrow race.
Year 5 teacher Ian Casey said: “It was amazing, we had 400 parents there and it was electric. It’s a really special year for London and we wanted to commemorate that.”
During the week lessons all had an Olympic slant such as learning about healthy eating in science.
You may also want to watch:
Each year group were allocated a different nation whose colours they wore on Friday and did a national dance.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 4 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust