Government are ‘gambling with the education of children’ as Redbridge schools set to lose £15million
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Schools in Redbridge will lose £15million of government funding by 2019, as the Department for Education (DfE) plans a new national funding formula.
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has criticised the cuts which work out at a loss of £338 per pupil, according to SchoolCuts.org.
“The government is gambling with the education of children across Redbridge,” he said.
“Every school in my constituency is affected.
“Teachers are trying their best, but there is only so much they can do faced with rising pupil numbers, rising costs and the possibility of redundancies looming over their heads while school budgets remain frozen.”
You may also want to watch:
To ensure similar schools in different parts of the country receive a similar level of money per pupil, the government is proposing to introduce a national funding formula.
London schools are facing the largest cuts – £360m in 2018/19 – as they currently receive proportionally more money due to higher levels of deprivation in the capital.
- 1 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 2 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 3 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 4 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 5 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 6 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 7 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 8 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 9 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
The Ilford North MP has vowed to meet with head teachers over the coming weeks to take their concerns about the cuts back to parliament.
“The government cannot be let off the hook on this vital issue,” he added.
Cllr Elaine Norman, cabinet member for children and young people, said the changes were “perverse” and gave her “grave concerns”.
She said: “The council and its school staff have worked incredibly hard for years to deliver excellent education to the children of this borough.
“Our GCSE results last year were excellent with Redbridge ranked tenth out of 150 local authorities for the new Average Progress 8 measure and second for its Progress 8 score in mathematics.
“These funding changes put this work at risk and gamble with children’s futures.”
Cllr Norman said Redbridge schools would be millions of pounds worse off in 2020 than they were 2015.
A DfE spokeswoman said: “It is clear that there is broad consensus on the need for a fairer funding formula to bring an end to the historic post code lottery in school funding.
“We have been consulting schools, governors, local authorities and parents and will carefully consider the responses to make sure we get the formula right and every pound of the investment we make in education has the greatest impact.”
The new way of distributing funds to schools is scheduled to begin in September 2018.