Goodmayes 82-year-old publishes recollections of the Second World War
A grandfather has written a book about his experiences as a 14-year-old boy working as a roofer while rockets were falling from the sky during the Second World War.
John Barfoot, 82, of Ilfracombe Gardens, Goodmayes, is a passionate local historian and has written three books focusing on Ilford during the war years.
Mr Barfoot said: “I’m pleased with it, I could write another story about getting the book published.”
The book, titled Memoirs of a Little Blighter, covers his experiences during the Second World War and what the Ilford area used to be like.
He said: “You don’t get many books about children in the war. When I left school in 1944 it was just in time for the rockets to start falling. It’s different from what the children have, and expect, today.”
You may also want to watch:
Copies of the book, which was published earlier this month, are available from email@example.com.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 6 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 7 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust