Football coaching book being written by former Redbridge student who started company from bedroom
A former Redbridge student who started a sports coaching company from his bedroom has been commissioned to write his second book giving coaching tips.
Tony Charles, 32, founded his company Foundation Football at the age of 19 and has also been nominated for two London-wide Pro-Active Sport & Physical Activity Awards for Project of the Year and Outstanding Contribution.
The former pupil at Beal High School, Woodford Bridge Road, Redbridge has seen his company grow rapidly from just one coach, himself, to a staff of 70 offering about 300 sessions each week.
His expertise were put on a page last year when he released his first book 101 Youth Football Coaching Sessions globally with Harry Potter publishers Bloomsbury.
His second title turns its attentions to a more diverse approach to coaching, focusing more on multi-skill activities designed to include all children of any ability.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “When I came out of college I was working part time for soccer schools before I decided to take the plunge and start my own one.
“Our sessions offer children to engage in a healthy lifestyle and give them access to sports in their local community.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 3 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 4 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 5 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 6 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 7 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 10 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
“The new book is about getting everyone involved. It’s not about elitism.”
The company has previously been rewarded with a London Business Award in 2009 for its work in the community, with Tony receiving a nomination in 2010 as Entrepreneur of the Year.
Foundation Football work in collaboration with the London Borough of Redbridge to provide sessions for children in and out of school.
Several coaches hold a Saturday morning session for children aged between five and 11 at Clayhall Park, in Longwood Gardens, Clayhall for just �1.
These sessions are a way of giving back to the area he grew up in, according to Tony.
He added: “I’m born and bred in Redbridge and am very passionate about what happens to these kids.”