Fifty three Redbridge schools to be affected by strike action
At least 18 schools across Redbridge will be fully closed (full listing below), with a further 35 partially closed, on Wednesday as the National Union of Teachers goes on strike.
The walkout planned by the NUT is part of an on going dispute over pay, pensions and working conditions which has been rumbling on for two years.
As opposed to the wave of strikes last year in which both the NUT and the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT) walked out, this time the NUT is on its own.
Christine Blower, general secretary of the NUT, said: “Teachers deeply regret the disruption caused by this strike action to parents and pupils. The government’s refusal, however, to engage to resolve the dispute means that we have no alternative other than to demonstrate the seriousness of our concerns.
“Teachers’ levels of workload are intolerable. The government’s own survey, published last month, shows that primary school teachers work nearly 60 hours a week and secondary school teachers work nearly 56 hours a week.”
You may also want to watch:
The Department for Education say they have agreed to further talks and have been holding regular meetings with to discuss the issue.
A spokesman said: “Despite this constructive engagement with their concerns, the NUT is taking action that will disrupt parents’ lives, hold back children’s education and damage the reputation of the profession.”
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 7 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 8 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 9 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 10 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
Detailed information on which schools will be affected and how can be found at redbridge.gov.uk
Fully closed schools:
Aldersbrook Primary, Ingatestone Road, Wanstead; Avanti Court Primary School, Carlton Drive, Barkingside; Barley Lane Primary School, Huxley Drive, Chadwell Heath; Fairlop Primary School, Colvin Gardens Hainault; Fullwood Primary School, Burford Close, Barkingside; Goron Infant School, Golfe Road, Ilford; Highlands Primary, Highlands Gardens, Ilford; Ilford Jewish Primary School, Forest Road, Ilford; John Bramston Primary School, Newcastle Avenue, Hainault; Mayespark Primary School, Goodmayes Lane, Goodmayes; Mossford Green Primary School, Fairlop Road, Barkingside; Oakdale Infants School, Woodville Road, South Woodford; SS Peter & Pauls Catholic Primary School, Gordon Road, Ilford; St Augustines Catholic Primary, Cranbrook Road, Gants Hill; Uphall Primary School, Uphall Road, Ilford; Winston Way Primary School, Winston Way, Ilford; Isaac Newton Academy, Cricklefield Place, Ilford; Little Heath Foundation School, Hainault Road, Little Heath;