Cyclists flocked to Redbridge training venue used by Olympic and Paralympic competitors
After seeing Team GB excel in the cycling events during the Olympic and Paralympic Games this summer, people flocked to try their hand at the sport at one of the training venues used by athletes.
Redbridge Cycling Centre, Forest Road, Hainault welcomed visitors on Sunday to have a go at one of the many taster sessions on road, mountain and BMX bikes.
The free open day gave families a chance to use the track and there were special coaching sessions for children.
Ian Coles, centre manager, said: “The event went really well and almost 450 people came along, the majority of which had never been before, which was great.
“For most of the summer the centre was shut because it was being used as an Olympic training venue, so we wanted to let people know we are open again and for all those who were inspired by the Games to come along and have a go.”
You may also want to watch:
The centre also held a competition to design a jersey and the winner was given an official Olympic flag.
Mr Coles added: “We hope the event encouraged people to get into cycling and come and use this multi-million pound centre which isn’t just for racing cyclists but for everyone.
- 1 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 4 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 7 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 8 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
“It provides a safe environment for newcomers to the sport to have a go without having to worry about the dangers that you would face on a normal road.”
Competitors from countries including South Korea, Algeria, Syria, El Salvador, China and Iran all took advantage of the modern facilities at the centre ahead of their events in Stratford.
The purpose-built two kilometre road track has seven different routes which can be altered depending on the rider’s skill level.
For more information on the centre and to find out how you can get involved, please visit www.redbridgecyclingcentre.co.uk.