Cranbrook student, 10, on the road to professional football
- Credit: Archant
A schoolboy been selected to compete in professional football trials after a gruelling couple of competitive and athletic rounds in London.
Jai Makwana, a student at Cranbrook Prep School in Ilford, took part in the Search for an Asian Football Star (SAAFS) finals which took place in Wembley earlier this month.
The 10-year-old will now compete at further trials next year in the hope of making a career in the game.
Mohsin Jameel, the chief executive of TradeNext. an Indian-owned financial trading firm which sponsors the competition, said: “The level of talent across the trial events was very strong.
“Jai was selecet to play in the finals as I think all the judges believe he has a long future in the game.”
SAAFS launched a few months ago to promote young British Asian sporting talent and help introduce them into professional football.
The Clayhall resident competed against hundreds of other young hopefuls to be selected.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of Ilford murder as police name victim
- 2 Tributes paid to law graduate murdered as she walked home in Ilford
- 3 Murder investigation launched after woman fatally attacked in Ilford
- 4 Air ambulance lands after man stabbed in South Woodford
- 5 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Valentines Park
- 6 Zara Aleena: Man charged with Ilford murder
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Applications approved or refused in Redbridge
- 8 Mayor tells borough's youth: 'Be ambitious for Redbridge'
- 9 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 10 Guilty: Hainault man admits traffic light stabbing
The principal of Cranbrook, David Morrison, said: “Jai is fearless, full of energy and has the ability to read situations quickly.
“I know he will be an excellent ambassador for both the school and his very supportive family who have instilled the concepts of fair play and respect for opponents in him.
“The whole school wishes Jai all the best on this wonderful adventure to become a professional footballer.”