Cranbrook student, 10, on the road to professional football
- Credit: Archant
A schoolboy been selected to compete in professional football trials after a gruelling couple of competitive and athletic rounds in London.
Jai Makwana, a student at Cranbrook Prep School in Ilford, took part in the Search for an Asian Football Star (SAAFS) finals which took place in Wembley earlier this month.
The 10-year-old will now compete at further trials next year in the hope of making a career in the game.
Mohsin Jameel, the chief executive of TradeNext. an Indian-owned financial trading firm which sponsors the competition, said: “The level of talent across the trial events was very strong.
“Jai was selecet to play in the finals as I think all the judges believe he has a long future in the game.”
You may also want to watch:
SAAFS launched a few months ago to promote young British Asian sporting talent and help introduce them into professional football.
The Clayhall resident competed against hundreds of other young hopefuls to be selected.
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
The principal of Cranbrook, David Morrison, said: “Jai is fearless, full of energy and has the ability to read situations quickly.
“I know he will be an excellent ambassador for both the school and his very supportive family who have instilled the concepts of fair play and respect for opponents in him.
“The whole school wishes Jai all the best on this wonderful adventure to become a professional footballer.”