Construction work begins on new Ilford school
- Credit: Archant
Construction has begun on a new school on the site of the former Ilford public swimming pool.
A ground breaking ceremony was held on February 26 to mark the beginning of work on the Isaac Newton Primary Academy on Monday, attended by Keith Prince, leader of Redbridge council and headteacher of the new school Tam Broadway.
Tam said: “We are looking forward to welcoming our first group of 90 children in September and moving into our new state-of-the art school. The opportunity to create a new school from scratch is a golden one and all the staff are committed to giving our pupils the best possible start in life.”
The new academy is being built on the former site of Ilford Public Baths, High Road, Ilford and will provide 630 places for children between four and 11 years old making it an all-through 4-18 school. Cabinet member for children’s services at Redbridge council Cllr Alan Weinberg said: “Redbridge’s results are at the top of the table year after year. This project will go a long way to ensure that we have the places available for all of the young people whose parents want them to be educated in the Borough.”
The project being undertaken by Bouygues UK will have a polycarbonate façade to create a “glowing box” effect. Arnaud Bekaert, Managing Director of Bouygues UK’s London and south east construction team, said: “we are delighted that work has begun on creating this modern, vibrant learning environment that will inspire generations of local children for years to come.”
You may also want to watch:
Bouygues were awarded the £6.75m contract in January.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 7 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 8 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 9 Redbridge ranked second most hygienic London borough for nightlife
- 10 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out