Chigwell teenager who battles excruciating pain wins September Young Citizen Award
The September winner of the Young Citizen Award is an inspiring 16-year-old who was determined to set up a support group for sufferers of a rare condition, which often leaves her in excruciating pain.
Abbie Brill, of Mount Pleasant Road, Chigwell, started the support group for complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) sufferers on Facebook with a friend last year.
She said: “I thought if I’m going through it, then there must be other kids going through it who don’t know what to do. We can help each other.”
Abbie was diagnosed with CRPS in March last year after doctors at several hospitals could not find the cause of her pain. She was in a wheelchair until May last year, when physiotherapists at Great Ormond Street Hospital helped her walk again.
Mum Stacey said: “There are days when she can’t even walk but she’s coping well. She suffers every day but she’s been taught how to make the best of what she’s got.”
You may also want to watch:
The award is sponsored by Exchange Ilford and Abbie wins �40 to spend at the retailer on her choice.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals