Calls for better infrastructure as supermarket and up to 500 homes planned for Gants Hill
- Credit: Archant
Residents have called for improved infrastructure to cope with new developments proposed for Gants Hill.
A complex including a “major” supermarket, retail space and new homes is planned for a plot in Eastern Avenue.
An action plan adopted in 2009 included a minimum 800 new homes, 517 of which have already been built, across several sites.
Speaking at Tuesday’s area committee seven meeting in Highlands Primary School, Highlands Gardens, Ilford, resident Dharam Sahdev, of The Crescent, said a new GP practice or health centre as well as a council-run children’s nursery is needed to cope with the increase in population.
Cllr Shoaib Patel said more homes are needed to avoid more “beds in sheds” and multiple-occupancy homes in the area.
Some residents worried that another supermarket would crush small businesses and grocers.
Cllr Ashok Kumar said: “I’m surprised we need another supermarket.
- 1 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 2 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 3 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 4 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 Wendy's Ilford: New opening date for High Road restaurant after delay
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Zouma brothers to face the courts amid animal abuse allegations
- 10 Wendy's to open Ilford restaurant next week
“It will need to be supported by the infrastructure.”
A six-week consultation on the development, which began last month, runs until February 25.
Representations can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or writing to: Gants Hill Development Brief, Planning and Regeneration Service, London Borough of Redbridge, Freepost RSLR–JACE–HSUG, Ilford, IG1 1DD.