Calls for better infrastructure as supermarket and up to 500 homes planned for Gants Hill
- Credit: Archant
Residents have called for improved infrastructure to cope with new developments proposed for Gants Hill.
A complex including a “major” supermarket, retail space and new homes is planned for a plot in Eastern Avenue.
An action plan adopted in 2009 included a minimum 800 new homes, 517 of which have already been built, across several sites.
Speaking at Tuesday’s area committee seven meeting in Highlands Primary School, Highlands Gardens, Ilford, resident Dharam Sahdev, of The Crescent, said a new GP practice or health centre as well as a council-run children’s nursery is needed to cope with the increase in population.
Cllr Shoaib Patel said more homes are needed to avoid more “beds in sheds” and multiple-occupancy homes in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Some residents worried that another supermarket would crush small businesses and grocers.
Cllr Ashok Kumar said: “I’m surprised we need another supermarket.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 4 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
“It will need to be supported by the infrastructure.”
A six-week consultation on the development, which began last month, runs until February 25.
Representations can be made by emailing email@example.com, or writing to: Gants Hill Development Brief, Planning and Regeneration Service, London Borough of Redbridge, Freepost RSLR–JACE–HSUG, Ilford, IG1 1DD.