Calls for better infrastructure as supermarket and up to 500 homes planned for Gants Hill
- Credit: Archant
Residents have called for improved infrastructure to cope with new developments proposed for Gants Hill.
A complex including a “major” supermarket, retail space and new homes is planned for a plot in Eastern Avenue.
An action plan adopted in 2009 included a minimum 800 new homes, 517 of which have already been built, across several sites.
Speaking at Tuesday’s area committee seven meeting in Highlands Primary School, Highlands Gardens, Ilford, resident Dharam Sahdev, of The Crescent, said a new GP practice or health centre as well as a council-run children’s nursery is needed to cope with the increase in population.
Cllr Shoaib Patel said more homes are needed to avoid more “beds in sheds” and multiple-occupancy homes in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Some residents worried that another supermarket would crush small businesses and grocers.
Cllr Ashok Kumar said: “I’m surprised we need another supermarket.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 7 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
“It will need to be supported by the infrastructure.”
A six-week consultation on the development, which began last month, runs until February 25.
Representations can be made by emailing email@example.com, or writing to: Gants Hill Development Brief, Planning and Regeneration Service, London Borough of Redbridge, Freepost RSLR–JACE–HSUG, Ilford, IG1 1DD.