Absent headteacher of Ilford primary school is ‘under investigation’
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge Council have revealed that the absent headteacher of Winston Way Primary School, Mark Mahoney, is “under investigation”.
Mr Mahoney led the school, in Winston Way, Ilford, since it opened in 2007 but has not been at work since the beginning of December.
A council spokesman said Mr Mahoney is currently suspended.
He added: “It would not be appropriate to comment on the details of the investigation but we can state that the investigation does not relate to the education and well-being of the children at Winston Way school.”
Debbie Webb is acting headteacher and currently dividing her time between Winston Way and Grove Primary School, in Chadwell Health.
Parents at the school were previously told that Mr Mahoney was absent because of “personal reasons”.
Last week, they demanded answers over the five-month mystery absence.
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 3 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 4 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 5 Update: Sixth arrest following killing of Michael Ugwa
- 6 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 7 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 8 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
A mother of a pupil, who gave her name as Nawab, spoke to the Recorder earlier this week.
She said: “They give every detail about every teacher leaving or going on a break but with him they haven’t said anything.”
It is understood that parents have been updated by the council about the investigation.
The council has not said what the investigation relates to or whether a permanent replacement will be found.