EastEnders actress inspired by young carers in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
A group of young carers were excited to meet EastEnders actress Jo Joyner, who came along to their drama workshop following a visit to the National Theatre.
Jo, who plays Tanya Branning on the BBC1 soap, worked with 12 carers, aged 14 to 23, at a special performing arts session at Barnardo’s Indigo Young Carers Service, Granville Road, Ilford, on Thursday.
The workshop, the last in a series of four, ran following an invitation for the carers to visit the theatre in London to see Port.
Jo said: “It has been a privilege to come along to the workshops and all the young people have been so warm and welcoming.
“They are coping with some big responsibilities at home and have all got such fantastically positive attitudes.
You may also want to watch:
“They’re an inspiration.
“They told me how the project had been valuable to them in terms of boosting their self esteem and helping them with their confidence.”
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 7 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 8 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 9 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 10 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
Mariella Creegan, 14, who attended the session, added: “The workshops have helped me a lot and have given me the confidence to go to a theatre group and audition for a part in their performances.”