EastEnders actress inspired by young carers in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
A group of young carers were excited to meet EastEnders actress Jo Joyner, who came along to their drama workshop following a visit to the National Theatre.
Jo, who plays Tanya Branning on the BBC1 soap, worked with 12 carers, aged 14 to 23, at a special performing arts session at Barnardo’s Indigo Young Carers Service, Granville Road, Ilford, on Thursday.
The workshop, the last in a series of four, ran following an invitation for the carers to visit the theatre in London to see Port.
Jo said: “It has been a privilege to come along to the workshops and all the young people have been so warm and welcoming.
“They are coping with some big responsibilities at home and have all got such fantastically positive attitudes.
You may also want to watch:
“They’re an inspiration.
“They told me how the project had been valuable to them in terms of boosting their self esteem and helping them with their confidence.”
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 9 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 10 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
Mariella Creegan, 14, who attended the session, added: “The workshops have helped me a lot and have given me the confidence to go to a theatre group and audition for a part in their performances.”