Drunken boxer spared jail after wielding axe outside Newbury Park hotel
A drunken boxer who flew into a rage and wielded an axe outside a wedding reception in a Newbury Park hotel was spared jail today.
Horrified guests at the Holiday Inn in Eastern Avenue saw Christopher Corcoran, 20, screaming and shouting at a car while wielding the weapon in the hotel’s car park, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
He confronted members of the McDonagh family, with whom his relatives are embroiled in a long-standing feud, on April 25 last year, it was said.
Prosecutor Simon Gray said a security guard saw Corcoran furiously chasing after a silver Ford Focus driven by the McDonaghs.
Corcoran was given a 10 month prison sentence suspended for two years, a three month curfew, and an exclusion order from the hotel complex.
You may also want to watch:
Timothy Horgan, defending, said his client was drunk at the time of the incident.
“His recreational interest, which he takes very seriously, is boxing, and for that reason he doesn’t drink much”, he said.
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Hainault community garden gets £85k for 'ecotherapy' scheme
“On this day, he had too much to drink and that affected his judgement.”
Corcoran, of Chingford, admitted two counts of having an article with a blade or point and a further count of having an offensive weapon.