Donkey leads the Palm Sunday procession from Goodmayes to Seven Kings
- Credit: Archant
A donkey called Brambles led the annual Palm Sunday procession through the borough with more than 100 people attending a service at St Paul’s Goodmayes beforehand.
The congregation then travelled from Atholl Road near St Paul’s in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, to St John the Evangelist in St John’s Road, Seven Kings, where the service ended.
Christians remember Palm Sunday as the beginning of Holy Week when Jesus rode into Jerusalem riding on a donkey.
Reverend Jonathan Evens, of St John’s, said: “The service and procession are a joyful celebration for us and, we hope, a visible act of witness to our community.
“It is a wonderful community event and it is a sign the churches in the local community are here and part of an active part of the community.”
You may also want to watch:
Reverend Evens added: “It was great weather. Last year it snowed and the donkey could not walk in the snow.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers