Don't forget war aerodromes
AS an ageing local World War One aero historian, the item in your paper (Recorder, March 18) entitled Stepping into the past on walk has been brought to my attention. I am informed the guide to the heritage walk promoted by the three councillors who ar
AS an ageing local World War One aero historian, the item in your paper (Recorder, March 18) entitled "Stepping into the past on walk" has been brought to my attention.
I am informed the guide to the heritage walk promoted by the three councillors who "are leading a drive into the history of their area" were apparently unaware that Ilford had three wartime aerodromes.
World War Two Fairlop airfield does get a mention but the facts are wrong.
Hainault Farm and Forest Farm (Fairlop) aerodromes had important roles in "the war to end all wars" but are overlooked yet again. Come on Ilford be proud of your three wartime airfields!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 6 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 7 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 8 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 9 Life sentence for Chigwell man convicted of murder
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman