Don't forget war aerodromes
AS an ageing local World War One aero historian, the item in your paper (Recorder, March 18) entitled Stepping into the past on walk has been brought to my attention. I am informed the guide to the heritage walk promoted by the three councillors who ar
AS an ageing local World War One aero historian, the item in your paper (Recorder, March 18) entitled "Stepping into the past on walk" has been brought to my attention.
I am informed the guide to the heritage walk promoted by the three councillors who "are leading a drive into the history of their area" were apparently unaware that Ilford had three wartime aerodromes.
World War Two Fairlop airfield does get a mention but the facts are wrong.
Hainault Farm and Forest Farm (Fairlop) aerodromes had important roles in "the war to end all wars" but are overlooked yet again. Come on Ilford be proud of your three wartime airfields!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 7 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 8 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust