Don't forget war aerodromes
AS an ageing local World War One aero historian, the item in your paper (Recorder, March 18) entitled Stepping into the past on walk has been brought to my attention. I am informed the guide to the heritage walk promoted by the three councillors who ar
AS an ageing local World War One aero historian, the item in your paper (Recorder, March 18) entitled "Stepping into the past on walk" has been brought to my attention.
I am informed the guide to the heritage walk promoted by the three councillors who "are leading a drive into the history of their area" were apparently unaware that Ilford had three wartime aerodromes.
World War Two Fairlop airfield does get a mention but the facts are wrong.
Hainault Farm and Forest Farm (Fairlop) aerodromes had important roles in "the war to end all wars" but are overlooked yet again. Come on Ilford be proud of your three wartime airfields!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 7 Redbridge Tories urge front desk re-opening at Barkingside Police Station
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 10 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash