Don't forget war aerodromes
AS an ageing local World War One aero historian, the item in your paper (Recorder, March 18) entitled Stepping into the past on walk has been brought to my attention. I am informed the guide to the heritage walk promoted by the three councillors who ar
AS an ageing local World War One aero historian, the item in your paper (Recorder, March 18) entitled "Stepping into the past on walk" has been brought to my attention.
I am informed the guide to the heritage walk promoted by the three councillors who "are leading a drive into the history of their area" were apparently unaware that Ilford had three wartime aerodromes.
World War Two Fairlop airfield does get a mention but the facts are wrong.
Hainault Farm and Forest Farm (Fairlop) aerodromes had important roles in "the war to end all wars" but are overlooked yet again. Come on Ilford be proud of your three wartime airfields!
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Police no longer looking for man wanted in connection with assault
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 6 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 7 TfL welcomes RMT decision to suspend first round of strike action
- 8 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
- 9 Dog units 'really good tool' to help police tackle violent crime, officers say
- 10 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL