Doctor who raced from stands to pitch to help collapsed Fabrice Muamba works in Redbridge
The doctor who ran to Bolton footballer Fabrice Muamba’s aid after he collapsed on the pitch during an FA Cup match on Saturday works in two Redbridge hospitals.
Dr Andrew Deaner graduated from the Leeds University School of Medicine in 1987 and now works at King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes and the private Spire Roding Hospital, Roding Lane South, Redbridge.
He treats patients with all types of cardiac disease, including those with coronary artery disease and people who have suffered angina, heart attack and cardiac arrest.
Dr Deaner is understood to have been allowed on to the pitch at White Hart Lane to help Fabrice, whose heart reportedly stop beating unaided for two hours.
He has also been part of the team overseeing his treatment at the London Chest since his arrival there.
You may also want to watch:
According to a joint statement from Bolton and the hospital, Fabrice has been “able to recognise family members and respond to questions appropriately”,
Dr Deaner is a Spurs fan who has been heavily involved in the training of junior doctors and is chair of the Specialist Training Committee in General Medicine for the north Thames region and a member of the British Cardiovascular Society and the British Cardiovascular Intervention Society.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
Dr Deaner also holds the post of secretary of the Cardiology Council of the Royal Society of Medicine.
As well as his position at the NHS London Chest Hospital, Dr Deaner is a consultant cardiologist at Spire Roding and Spire Hartswood private hospitals and is the clinical lead in cardiology and clinical director for acute medicine at Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, which is his main place of work.
In his personal profile for Spire, Dr Deaner writes: “I was born and brought up in south west Essex.
“I am married with three teenage children, and spend much of my spare time cycling on a Colnago C50 road bike.
“Amongst numerous cycling achievements, I have successfully ridden an amateur stage of the Tour De France on six occasions and have completed the ultra-long distance Paris-Brest-Paris cycle event on two occasions.
“My other interests include travel and the theatre.”