Defiant Redbridge FC boss Jody Brown to launch appeal after two players see red against Sudbury

Brown accuses referee of double standards over abusive language.

Redbridge boss Jody Brown is to appeal against Hyun-Jin Lee’s red card after the midfielder was sent off following the 3-0 defeat to AFC Sudbury on Tuesday night.

The South Korean was given his marching orders after he became engaged in a heated exchange of words with the referee after the full-time whistle.

It was the Motormen’s second red card of the night after Jonathan Glowacki was dismissed early in the second half for a heavy challenge and Brown was disappointed with the referee’s overall performance.

“I feel the official was very weak and allowed himself to get influenced by the strong home following and their manager,” he said.

“I will have to have a word with some of the people at the club about appealing (the red card). The referee had been swearing all night, which I don’t have a problem with, but if he has sent Hyun off for swearing back at him then it is silly.

“You can’t have one rule for him and another for the players. Even when I spoke to some of the Sudbury players after the whistle they couldn’t see a reason why he was sent off, so from my point of view I feel we should appeal it.

Most Read

“Jon’s (Glowacki) incident happened right in front of me and I thought both players went in strong and the Sudbury player came off worse.

“Everyone has reacted and it’s seen him sent off, but it was another decision I thought was very harsh.”


The incidents marred a spirited performance from the Motormen who once again created a lot of chances while failing to make the most of them.

Kevin McLeod twice went close to scoring, whilst Craig Arnott also missed a good opportunity.

Given the parity of possession, the former Tiptree United and Halstead Town manager believes the final scoreline was kind to the Yellows.

“We were quite comfortable at 1-0 down and could have settled to lose it by that scoreline,” said Brown.

“Even when we went down to 10 men we created chances but we threw caution to the wind and they hit us on the break.

“But to lose 3-0 is not a fair reflection on the game and it somewhat flattered Sudbury.”

Tuesday night’s loss followed four consecutive draws, with the latest being Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Ware at Oakside, where McLeod scored an 88th-minute free kick.

It was a game that the 32-year-old Motormen boss thought they could have got a lot more from.

“Saturday was a very good performance and is probably as well as the boys have played since I have been here,” he said. “Credit to the lads as they showed courage.”