Debate on whether to limit number of betting shops in Redbridge to be held today
Redbridge Council will meet today to discuss the possibility of limiting betting shops in the borough.
Within Redbridge there have been 19 new betting premises licences issued since the introduction of the 2005 Gambling Act, with the total now standing at 72.
The main clusters are in Clementswood (11), Fairlop (seven) and Barkingside (seven) wards.
Betting shops are known to spring up in deprived town centres and low-income areas, according to the council.
The council says all the stakeholders need to be involved from an early stage in policy talks.
You may also want to watch:
The meeting of the licensing committee is at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, at 6.30pm.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 3 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 4 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 7 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 8 'It's disgusting': Goodmayes mum claims family fed mouldy pittas in quarantine hotel
- 9 Testing centres set up in race to find donor for girl, 4, with cancer
- 10 Union protests outside town hall over ongoing Oaks Park High dispute