Daughter remembers ‘loving’ father who was killed in Ilford on her birthday
- Credit: Pam White
A daughter has paid tribute to her “kind and loving father” who was stabbed to death in Ilford on her 64th birthday.
John Down, 86, and his partner Karen Reid, 53, were killed by her ex-boyfriend Paul Mallin in a sheltered housing unit on September 5.
Mallin, 51, who was a neighbour of the victims in Fernways, Cecil Road, Ilford, was due to go on trial for murder last week, but the prosecution dropped the charges based on psychological and psychiatric reports. He previously admitted two counts of manslaughter on January 4.
Pam White and her three sisters were in the public gallery at the Old Bailey to hear the decision.
She told the Recorder: “It has been a very traumatic time since I was informed of dad’s death on my 64th birthday, we have laid him to rest but we haven’t yet had grieving time.”
You may also want to watch:
Pam lives in Bournemouth, where her father spent the first 40 years of his life.
“He was a kind and loving father who encouraged his children to be educated and to seek out their dreams,” she said.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 3 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 4 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 5 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 6 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 7 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 8 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 9 Jailed: Newbury Park man for 'ludicrous' bid to defraud employer of £670k
- 10 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
Read the full exclusive interview in today’s Recorder.