Daughter remembers ‘loving’ father who was killed in Ilford on her birthday
- Credit: Pam White
A daughter has paid tribute to her “kind and loving father” who was stabbed to death in Ilford on her 64th birthday.
John Down, 86, and his partner Karen Reid, 53, were killed by her ex-boyfriend Paul Mallin in a sheltered housing unit on September 5.
Mallin, 51, who was a neighbour of the victims in Fernways, Cecil Road, Ilford, was due to go on trial for murder last week, but the prosecution dropped the charges based on psychological and psychiatric reports. He previously admitted two counts of manslaughter on January 4.
Pam White and her three sisters were in the public gallery at the Old Bailey to hear the decision.
She told the Recorder: “It has been a very traumatic time since I was informed of dad’s death on my 64th birthday, we have laid him to rest but we haven’t yet had grieving time.”
You may also want to watch:
Pam lives in Bournemouth, where her father spent the first 40 years of his life.
“He was a kind and loving father who encouraged his children to be educated and to seek out their dreams,” she said.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
Read the full exclusive interview in today’s Recorder.