'Self-sacrifice is the way to saving yourself'
Pastor Daniel Shillingford, City Gates Church
- Credit: PA Images
The self-help industry is estimated to be worth $13.2 billion in the US by 2022, according to Market Research. Darko Jacimovic, who wrote a blog on this topic, suggesting that there will be 5.6 per cent average yearly gains within this ground-breaking, expanding industry.
The general discourse within the western media and sporting elite is focused on being the best version of yourself, a faster, more intelligent, more determined you.
I remember listening to an interview with the footballer Jesse Lingard about his loss of form and how he found confidence reading the bestselling book by Vex King, Good Vibes, Good Life, about internal healing and self-love. Lingard credits a lot of his success to the "law of positive energy".
I believe this is indicative of the messages of the day.
However, is life really about Good Vibes, Good Life? Jesus says, in Mark 8:34-37: “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am.
You may also want to watch:
"Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me, and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self.
"What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?”
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 5 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 6 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 7 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 9 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 10 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
Jesus changes this concept of self-promotion upside down and challenges us to live a life of self-sacrifice to truly save ourselves to find our true selves in the act of loving other people.