Cyclists given chance to welcome Olympic flame when it comes to Redbridge
Cyclists will be hand picked to welcome the Olympic flame to Redbridge in a once-in-a-lifetime event.
The flame will set off from Redbridge Cycling Centre on Sunday, July 22, and the hunt is on for people to saddle up and send it on its journey through the street of the borough. The Redbridge leg of the Olympic torch relay will set off from the centre in Forest Road, Hainault at 7.19am.
Members of the public will not be permitted to enter the centre, but a lucky few cyclists will be asked to ride as the torch is lit.
A “celebrity cyclist” whose name has yet to be announced will join them.
Vision Redbridge, which is responsible for leisure services in the borough, is looking for cyclists of all ages and from different areas of the sport such as road, mountain bikes, BMX, and vintage/historic bikes.
You may also want to watch:
Those wanting to take part will need to be on site by 6am.
To register your interest, email firstname.lastname@example.org,
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 5 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved
The flame is in the second week of its 70-day tour of Britain.
When the flame comes to Redbridge, days before the opening ceremony, it will travel down Forest Road and Fairlop Waters Country Park, being taken on to a boat crossing the park’s lake. It will pass through High Street, Barkingside; Cranbrook Road; the grounds of Valentines Mansion off Emerson Road, Ilford; Bethell Avenue, Ilford; Ilford town centre; Clements Road and Clements Lane, Ilford; Winston Way, Ilford and Ilford Lane, Ilford. Twenty-six people will carry the torch.