Cuts to Redbridge services to be decided on tonight
CUTS of �5.8million, which could see the end of lollipop men and women and the closure of some public toilets, are set to be decided on by councillors meeting tonight.
Redbridge Council’s cabinet will meet at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, at 7.15pm today, where they are expected to sign off more than 50 proposed cuts.
On Friday, plans to close the Redbridge Resource Centre, Ley Street, Ilford - a day centre for people with mental health needs - was withdrawn after a wave of fierce opposition.
They also aborted plans to close Abury House, Aldborough Road North, Newbury Park, which is a supported accommodation complex with nine purpose-built flats for people with mental health needs.
The �5.8million of cuts are being made after the government clawed back cash earmarked for Redbridge Council earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
Cabinet’s decisions will need the approval of full council, which meets on October 21, before the cuts are given the green light.
Other proposed cuts include the cancellation of all Sunday street cleansing overtime working and the cancellation of early morning sweeps, which start at 6am and are covered on overtime.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station