Crowds enjoy the sunshine at Wanstead Festival - online gallery
Before Sunday’s headline event at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, crowds enjoyed an afternoon of fun and activities basked in sunshine for the annual Wanstead Festival.
At Christchurch Green in Wanstead High Street, visitors enjoyed games including space hopper races and bike trials, a climbing wall and musical performances.
The festival, just hours before the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games, also incorporated the borough’s Inspiration roadshow which celebrated the XXX Olympiad.
Festival goers took part in a decathlon of events including hula-hooping and impersonating your favourite Olympics star.
Redbridge Council’s area one committee provided �10,000 to fund the event.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Thomas Chan, of Wanstead ward, said: “It was great. The sun was out and I think everyone enjoyed all the games.”
Sam Gezgin, nine, won a space hopper race with Adam Gezgin, 10, claiming silver and Joe Dick, 11, bronze.
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 10 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
The Mayor of Redbridge, Cllr Muhammed Javed, spoke to the crowds and joined in the fun by jumping on a stationary multi-person bike.
The Wanstead Society collected around 300 signatures on a petition opposing a closure of Wanstead police station.
Member Geoff Horsnell, of Gloucester Road, said: ““It was a great festival, it was helped by the fact there was very good weather.”
Click on the link above to view our online gallery.