Crowds enjoy the sunshine at Wanstead Festival - online gallery
Before Sunday’s headline event at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, crowds enjoyed an afternoon of fun and activities basked in sunshine for the annual Wanstead Festival.
At Christchurch Green in Wanstead High Street, visitors enjoyed games including space hopper races and bike trials, a climbing wall and musical performances.
The festival, just hours before the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games, also incorporated the borough’s Inspiration roadshow which celebrated the XXX Olympiad.
Festival goers took part in a decathlon of events including hula-hooping and impersonating your favourite Olympics star.
Redbridge Council’s area one committee provided �10,000 to fund the event.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Thomas Chan, of Wanstead ward, said: “It was great. The sun was out and I think everyone enjoyed all the games.”
Sam Gezgin, nine, won a space hopper race with Adam Gezgin, 10, claiming silver and Joe Dick, 11, bronze.
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
The Mayor of Redbridge, Cllr Muhammed Javed, spoke to the crowds and joined in the fun by jumping on a stationary multi-person bike.
The Wanstead Society collected around 300 signatures on a petition opposing a closure of Wanstead police station.
Member Geoff Horsnell, of Gloucester Road, said: ““It was a great festival, it was helped by the fact there was very good weather.”
Click on the link above to view our online gallery.