Crossrail contract to expand and modify Ilford train depot awarded to VolkerFitzpatrick company
A company has won the £50million contract to expand the Ilford train depot for Crossrail, where there will be up to 90 new jobs.
VolkerFitzpatrick Limited will take over the site on the line between Ilford and Seven Kings from current operator Greater Anglia.
It will be charged with designing and installing the ten new sidings for Crossrail trains as well as building staff accomodation and modifying existing facilities at the yard.
A small family business at the entrance to the site, in Ley Street, is being demolished to make way for a new car park.
Academy Roofing Supplies has been running for 20 years but a Crossrail spokesman said an alternative site would be found.
You may also want to watch:
Ilford is one of five sites along the Crossrail route that will house trains.
The new line is due to open by 2019 and will link Maidenhead and Heathrow in the west to Abbey Wood and Shenfield in the east, through Ilford, Seven Kings, Goodmayes and Chadwell Heath stations.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge