Crossrail contract to expand and modify Ilford train depot awarded to VolkerFitzpatrick company
A company has won the £50million contract to expand the Ilford train depot for Crossrail, where there will be up to 90 new jobs.
VolkerFitzpatrick Limited will take over the site on the line between Ilford and Seven Kings from current operator Greater Anglia.
It will be charged with designing and installing the ten new sidings for Crossrail trains as well as building staff accomodation and modifying existing facilities at the yard.
A small family business at the entrance to the site, in Ley Street, is being demolished to make way for a new car park.
Academy Roofing Supplies has been running for 20 years but a Crossrail spokesman said an alternative site would be found.
You may also want to watch:
Ilford is one of five sites along the Crossrail route that will house trains.
The new line is due to open by 2019 and will link Maidenhead and Heathrow in the west to Abbey Wood and Shenfield in the east, through Ilford, Seven Kings, Goodmayes and Chadwell Heath stations.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 4 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 5 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 7 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 10 Hainault woman celebrates 100th birthday with mayoral visit