Woodford Green stabbing: ‘There was blood everywhere’
- Credit: Archant
A minicab driver has described the moment three colleagues rushed to the aid of a woman stabbed at a coffee shop, telling how there was “blood everywhere”.
The man, who wished to remain anonymous, said the trio were on the early shift at Mason’s 24 Hour Minicabs, Station Approach, when they heard the woman’s screams from Costa Coffee, The Broadway, Woodford Green.
He told the Recorder: “They heard her screaming. They said there was blood everywhere.
“She had had her wrists cut, apparently he ran up and attacked her as she was opening the shop.”
The manager of Frothy Coffee, in Woodford station, is said to have heard screams as he himself was setting up.
You may also want to watch:
“A customer came in with blood on his hands,” a fellow barista said.
“He said he had helped the woman.”
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 7 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 8 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 9 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 10 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
Police were called to the coffee shop at 5.26am this morning, to reports of aggravated burglary and a stabbing.
Upon arrival, officers discovered the woman, the store manager, suffering stab wounds, but the suspect, a man, fled.
The victim is now in hospital following initial treatment from London Ambulance Service paramedics.
Six hours after the incident, Costa staff were seen still clearing up blood on the pavement.
A company spokeswoman has now confirmed the manager is “well”.
She said: “We can confirm that an incident did take place this morning at our Woodford Green store, involving a staff member.
“We are working with the Metropolitan Police with their investigation and are relieved to confirm the store member is well.”
Kamlesh Patel, who runs J.K. News opposite, in Snakes Lane West, said he was thinking about opening his shop later.
“My wife opens early on her own at 5.30am. This is very scary. We are thinking about changing times.”
Redbridge CID is investigating the incident and no arrests have been made.
The stabbing is the second in the Woodford area in 24 hours, after a teenaged was knifed in Queen Mary’s Gate, South Woodford, yesterday afternoon.
Any witnesses or anyone with information is urged to call Redbridge CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.