Woodford Green shopkeeper tells of terror after rampaging masked gunman targeted his store
- Credit: Archant
A father-of-two said he had no choice but to hand over the money from his shop’s till when confronted with a masked gunman.
Saiful Islam, 48, owner of Maybank Mini Market, kept his shop open to serve a last minute customer.
The man parked up his motorbike outside the newsagent in Maybank Road, Woodford Green and entered still wearing his crash helmet and gloves.
Mr Islam said: “Out of his left pocket he took out a purple bag and out of his right pocket the gun. I gave him the cash. I had to give it to him. I have a wife and kids and family.”
The masked raider was Sheldon Green, 23, of Hackney, who was in the middle of a crime spree for which he was sentenced to five years’ jail at the Old Bailey on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally captured when he stole a phone with a tracking device application on it and was pursued by officers in a dramatic chase which ended with him jumping into a canal.
Det Sgt Neil Turner from the Barking Flying Squad said: “Officers surrounded him and fished him out.”
- 1 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 3 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 4 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 5 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 7 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 8 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 9 Mosque director: Ilford egg attack highlights Islamophobia Muslims face
- 10 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green