Woodford Green shopkeeper tells of terror after rampaging masked gunman targeted his store
- Credit: Archant
A father-of-two said he had no choice but to hand over the money from his shop’s till when confronted with a masked gunman.
Saiful Islam, 48, owner of Maybank Mini Market, kept his shop open to serve a last minute customer.
The man parked up his motorbike outside the newsagent in Maybank Road, Woodford Green and entered still wearing his crash helmet and gloves.
Mr Islam said: “Out of his left pocket he took out a purple bag and out of his right pocket the gun. I gave him the cash. I had to give it to him. I have a wife and kids and family.”
The masked raider was Sheldon Green, 23, of Hackney, who was in the middle of a crime spree for which he was sentenced to five years’ jail at the Old Bailey on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally captured when he stole a phone with a tracking device application on it and was pursued by officers in a dramatic chase which ended with him jumping into a canal.
Det Sgt Neil Turner from the Barking Flying Squad said: “Officers surrounded him and fished him out.”
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 8 'Scrapping Universal Credit uplift will lead to poverty', MP says
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients