Woodford Green shopkeeper tells of terror after rampaging masked gunman targeted his store
- Credit: Archant
A father-of-two said he had no choice but to hand over the money from his shop’s till when confronted with a masked gunman.
Saiful Islam, 48, owner of Maybank Mini Market, kept his shop open to serve a last minute customer.
The man parked up his motorbike outside the newsagent in Maybank Road, Woodford Green and entered still wearing his crash helmet and gloves.
Mr Islam said: “Out of his left pocket he took out a purple bag and out of his right pocket the gun. I gave him the cash. I had to give it to him. I have a wife and kids and family.”
The masked raider was Sheldon Green, 23, of Hackney, who was in the middle of a crime spree for which he was sentenced to five years’ jail at the Old Bailey on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally captured when he stole a phone with a tracking device application on it and was pursued by officers in a dramatic chase which ended with him jumping into a canal.
Det Sgt Neil Turner from the Barking Flying Squad said: “Officers surrounded him and fished him out.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 9 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding