Woodford Green shopkeeper tells of terror after rampaging masked gunman targeted his store
- Credit: Archant
A father-of-two said he had no choice but to hand over the money from his shop’s till when confronted with a masked gunman.
Saiful Islam, 48, owner of Maybank Mini Market, kept his shop open to serve a last minute customer.
The man parked up his motorbike outside the newsagent in Maybank Road, Woodford Green and entered still wearing his crash helmet and gloves.
Mr Islam said: “Out of his left pocket he took out a purple bag and out of his right pocket the gun. I gave him the cash. I had to give it to him. I have a wife and kids and family.”
The masked raider was Sheldon Green, 23, of Hackney, who was in the middle of a crime spree for which he was sentenced to five years’ jail at the Old Bailey on Friday.
You may also want to watch:
He was finally captured when he stole a phone with a tracking device application on it and was pursued by officers in a dramatic chase which ended with him jumping into a canal.
Det Sgt Neil Turner from the Barking Flying Squad said: “Officers surrounded him and fished him out.”
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford