Woodford Green pensioner, 73, to be sentenced for killing cyclist
- Credit: Michael Fresco
A pensioner who killed a cyclist will be sentenced later today.
Marjorie Tappenden of St Ronan’s Crescent, Woodford Green, collided with cycling enthusiast Kevin Lane, 53, last February and he died at the scene as a result of his injuries.
The 73-year-old pleaded guilty to causing death without due care and attention at Barkingside Magistrates Court last week and will appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court to receive her sentence.
She appeared at the Cranbrook Road court with her husband, who is in a wheelchair, last week to enter her plea.
The collision happened on a Sunday afternoon in Woodford Green High Road.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lane, a CCTV operator from Maytree Close, Rainham, suffered serious head injuries and died from a cardiac arrest despite the best efforts of paramedics and the air ambulance.
The road remained closed for most of the afternoon and one witness reports seeing Mr Lane’s bike trapped under Tappenden’s Nissan.
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 3 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 4 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 5 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 6 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 7 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 8 Covid 'past the peak' at Queen's and King George hospitals
- 9 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
He was the first of 12 cyclists to die on London’s roads last year and a candlelit vigil was held for him a few days after the incident.
Tributes flooded into the Recorder from his friends, family and fellow cycling enthusiasts.
His sister, Nicola Roden, was said to be “devastated” by the news of his death while a relative who lives in the US, Charlie Lane, wrote on Twitter: “It’s times like these I wish I knew family better – RIP Kevin Lane.”
According to other media reports Mr Lane’s girlfriend, Angela Cook, 35, called for the court to ban Tappenden from ever getting behind the wheel again and hopes she gets a suspended prison sentence due to her age.