Woman ‘laughed’ at armed police who stopped car in Ilford High Road
- Credit: Archant
Armed police swarmed over a car in High Road, Ilford this afternoon with a police helicopter providing additional support.
A 60-year-old shopkeeper said it was like “being in a film” as an unmarked car pulled over a vehicle carrying a male and female passenger.
The shopkeeper – who did not want to be identified – said: “I have never seen anything like it. It was completely shocking. It was like watching a film but it was live action. I have never seen a gun before in my life.”
The shopkeeper was talking to a neighbouring shop owner at about 3pm when a people carrier pulled up at the kerb in front of him.
Police armed with rifles then surrounded the car and started shouting at the occupants.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “They were shouting ‘armed police, armed police, get out of the car’ and the woman was just laughing. I thought she would be shaking. I would if it was me.”
He said police got the woman out of the car and then told the male driver to get out of the car and put his hands up.
- 1 Young Citizen: Ilford student who assisted at crash campaigns for more first aid
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 5 'I convened a meeting for residents and businesses in the York Road area'
- 6 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 7 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 8 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 9 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 10 Council leader urges government to fund flood prevention measures
“It was quite an experience seeing something like this in the streets of Ilford,” he added.
About five or six plain and marked police cars were involved with the operation.
Did you see what happened? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8477 3826 or tweet us @ilfordrecorder.
• A police spokesman said officers attended an address in Green Lane, Ilford, at 2.18pm as part of an “intelligence-led operation”.
One man has been arrested for possession of class A drugs. He remains in custody at an east London police station.
A woman has also been detained and inquiries continue.