Woman ‘laughed’ at armed police who stopped car in Ilford High Road
- Credit: Archant
Armed police swarmed over a car in High Road, Ilford this afternoon with a police helicopter providing additional support.
A 60-year-old shopkeeper said it was like “being in a film” as an unmarked car pulled over a vehicle carrying a male and female passenger.
The shopkeeper – who did not want to be identified – said: “I have never seen anything like it. It was completely shocking. It was like watching a film but it was live action. I have never seen a gun before in my life.”
The shopkeeper was talking to a neighbouring shop owner at about 3pm when a people carrier pulled up at the kerb in front of him.
Police armed with rifles then surrounded the car and started shouting at the occupants.
He said: “They were shouting ‘armed police, armed police, get out of the car’ and the woman was just laughing. I thought she would be shaking. I would if it was me.”
He said police got the woman out of the car and then told the male driver to get out of the car and put his hands up.
- 1 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 2 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 3 Lightbulb likely cause of Khartoum Road house fire
- 4 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 5 Commission ends safeguarding probe into charity
- 6 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Met investigates cause of Mossford Green cemetery blaze
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 10 Caught on camera: 6 wanted fly-tippers and litterbugs
“It was quite an experience seeing something like this in the streets of Ilford,” he added.
About five or six plain and marked police cars were involved with the operation.
Did you see what happened? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8477 3826 or tweet us @ilfordrecorder.
• A police spokesman said officers attended an address in Green Lane, Ilford, at 2.18pm as part of an “intelligence-led operation”.
One man has been arrested for possession of class A drugs. He remains in custody at an east London police station.
A woman has also been detained and inquiries continue.