Woman ‘laughed’ at armed police who stopped car in Ilford High Road
- Credit: Archant
Armed police swarmed over a car in High Road, Ilford this afternoon with a police helicopter providing additional support.
A 60-year-old shopkeeper said it was like “being in a film” as an unmarked car pulled over a vehicle carrying a male and female passenger.
The shopkeeper – who did not want to be identified – said: “I have never seen anything like it. It was completely shocking. It was like watching a film but it was live action. I have never seen a gun before in my life.”
The shopkeeper was talking to a neighbouring shop owner at about 3pm when a people carrier pulled up at the kerb in front of him.
Police armed with rifles then surrounded the car and started shouting at the occupants.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “They were shouting ‘armed police, armed police, get out of the car’ and the woman was just laughing. I thought she would be shaking. I would if it was me.”
He said police got the woman out of the car and then told the male driver to get out of the car and put his hands up.
- 1 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 2 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 3 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 4 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 'Help people find moments of beauty within the trauma': BHRUT chaplain supports staff during pandemic
- 7 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 8 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 9 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 10 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
“It was quite an experience seeing something like this in the streets of Ilford,” he added.
About five or six plain and marked police cars were involved with the operation.
Did you see what happened? Contact email@example.com or call 020 8477 3826 or tweet us @ilfordrecorder.
• A police spokesman said officers attended an address in Green Lane, Ilford, at 2.18pm as part of an “intelligence-led operation”.
One man has been arrested for possession of class A drugs. He remains in custody at an east London police station.
A woman has also been detained and inquiries continue.