Witness to necklace theft supplies police with leads after chasing suspects into Clayhall road
A witness to the theft of an elderly woman’s jewellery has helped to provide the police with leads by chasing the suspected offenders.
A 64-year-old woman was walking with her husband in Clayhall Avenue, heading towards Barkingside High Street, at 1.20pm on May 23 when she was approached by two black males who stole her gold necklace.
The witness, a man who does not wish to be named, ran towards the suspects and chased them into Tiptree Crescent, Clayhall.
A spokesman for Redbridge police said the man had provided them with “positive leads” which they are pursuing.
Temporary Det Con Paula Oswald added: “This male witness went beyond his public duty and neglected his own safety to protect the elderly victim and in doing so he has set an example of the good deeds of the Ilford community.
You may also want to watch:
“I have no doubt that if it weren’t for the actions of the witness the victim would have suffered more serious harm.”
The first suspect is described as 6ft 4ins tall, of a slim athletic build and in his early to mid 20s.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 5 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 6 Loxford and Seven Kings by-election candidates make case for your vote
- 7 Consultation launches on plans to move preschool and open excluded pupils facility at youth centre
- 8 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 9 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 10 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
He is thought to have short, unkempt hair, a square muscular face and he was wearing a green sleeveless body warmer, a grey or white long-sleeved top and blue jeans.
The second suspect is described as about 5ft 6ins, in his early 20s and of a slim build. He was wearing a black jacket.
If anyone has any information, they should call Redbridge police on 101.