Wanstead and Snaresbrook councillors call extraordinary meeting over Wanstead police station closure threat
Wanstead and Snaresbrook councillors have called an extraordinary area committee meeting over concerns that Wanstead police station is under threat of closure.
The Met is conducting a review of its stock of about 800 buildings as part of a cost-saving exercise which will see some recommended for sale to the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime.
Redbridge’s borough commander Det Ch Supt Sue Williams said last month that plans to base Safer Neighbourhood officers elsewhere were being considered should the Wanstead station in Spratt Hall Road be sold.
Wanstead councillors Thomas Chan, Michelle Dunn and Alex Wilson and Snaresbrook councillors Chris Cummins, Peter Goody and Sue Nolan are working closely with residents’ groups to oppose a closure.
In a statement, the councillors said: “We strongly believe that effective community policing needs a permanent police base in the heart of the community.”
You may also want to watch:
The meeting of Redbridge Council’s area one committee will be held in the Churchill room of Wanstead Library in Spratt Hall Road on September 14 at 7.15pm.
Redbridge Council leader Cllr Keith Prince and Roger Evans, the London Assembly member for Havering and Redbridge, will attend along with acting Supt Stewart Hill representing the police.
- 1 Young Citizen: Ilford student who assisted at crash campaigns for more first aid
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 5 'I convened a meeting for residents and businesses in the York Road area'
- 6 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 7 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 8 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 9 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 10 Council leader urges government to fund flood prevention measures
The Wanstead and Snaresbrook Residents’ Alliance, a joint initative of three residents’ groups, has launched a petition opposing a closure.
Concerns over the future of Woodford police station in High Road, Woodford Green, were also raised at a public meeting last month.